Need Help With Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

alieeni

I'm new here, and honestly don't know where to start with this little one I got. I got her from a family friend who didn't know much at all about bearded dragons, her son dropped her off before moving and a few weeks ago she started turning her head up, spinning around in an attempt to climb up or something. She heard from my mom I had rescued a leopard gecko a few years back, and dropped Sunny off yesterday afternoon.

We got her a basking light, and she's been under it with her head turned up for basically... the entire time I've had her. She's eaten a few mealworms her old owner had given her, and has been pooping and peeing pretty normally. She still seems very thin though, her skin is rough to the touch and can actually prick, her tail is darker than the rest from the base, and her one of her eyes is closed shut. I've been cleaning it during baths, (her old owner had never bathed her prior) and it does open after being thoroughly cleaned.

She also stays under the light, head turned up and sometimes opens her mouth, before closing it slowly. Her entire neck is black, she rolls around but... stiffly, like she's struggling and I've been feeding her baby food (though she much prefers bugs) and giving her water + salt + sugar, but I'm just worried there's something more serious and I won't be able to help her properly due to my lack of knowledge. Any advice?

Here are some pics of her as well, the white powdered stuff is some calcium she like sometimes dips her face in to.

2ofG1Ep.jpg

BUmd56m.jpg

vRTXsk4.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I would get her tank cleaned out -- she looks bad --- what are you using for a UVB? You need a long fixture -- what size tank is she in? If you have a 40 gallon tank I would go get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 bulb --- when you get this let us know so we can help you place it -- they need to be certain distances from her basking spot--- next she needs basking temps of 95-110- and they need to be taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun - probes can be bought at Petsmart or Petco for $5 - heat guns for $10-12 from you local home improvement store NO STICKONS they are inaccurate -- those two lights are the most important thing in that tank --- next here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html -- she needs fresh salads every day --- insects I would try and get her some dubia roaches-- they can be ordered from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com you can also get her some butter worms horn worms they are a hydrating worm and grow fast so order small amounts - super worms meal worms -- more places to order is from these websites
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ silk worms they are a great staple feeder
https://symtonbsf.com/ BSFL another staple feeder they are small so order large and they do not need to be dusted
thats all I am going to post for now -- you need to dust her insects w/ calcium D3 and vitamins every time you feed her bugs - alternate between the two - I would offer her some insects 2-3 times per week - she does not look very healthy -- is she eating ? My guess is shes calcium deficient w/ the rolling around and stiff --- please get the UVB ASAP
Karrie

alieeni

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2upvo5tm said:
Ok I would get her tank cleaned out -- she looks bad --- what are you using for a UVB? You need a long fixture -- what size tank is she in? If you have a 40 gallon tank I would go get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 bulb --- when you get this let us know so we can help you place it -- they need to be certain distances from her basking spot--- next she needs basking temps of 95-110- and they need to be taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun - probes can be bought at Petsmart or Petco for $5 - heat guns for $10-12 from you local home improvement store NO STICKONS they are inaccurate -- those two lights are the most important thing in that tank --- next here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html -- she needs fresh salads every day --- insects I would try and get her some dubia roaches-- they can be ordered from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com you can also get her some butter worms horn worms they are a hydrating worm and grow fast so order small amounts - super worms meal worms -- more places to order is from these websites
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ silk worms they are a great staple feeder
https://symtonbsf.com/ BSFL another staple feeder they are small so order large and they do not need to be dusted
thats all I am going to post for now -- you need to dust her insects w/ calcium D3 and vitamins every time you feed her bugs - alternate between the two - I would offer her some insects 2-3 times per week - she does not look very healthy -- is she eating ? My guess is shes calcium deficient w/ the rolling around and stiff --- please get the UVB ASAP
Karrie

Hi :) I'm going to go out and get the lights and worms today, Her tank is pretty big... I'd say maybe 40-60 gallons? She's been eating baby food from a spoon and water, plus the occasional mealworm- she has enough energy to go and hunt them, but other than that she's been on her heating rock.

So for now daily salads and the uvb light + occasional insects? I'm hoping once I get the light in there she's liven up some, but I'll keep you updated. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, good on you for trying to help the poor girl. Thankfully she doesn't appear to have an R.I on top of everything. It's good that she's eating. That being said, she is in critical condition. She has a neurological problem causing the terrible movements and black beard means stress. Do you have a reptile vet in the area ? If you fond one that is experienced with beardies they can help but otherwise don't bother. It may be ADV [ atadenovirus ] or may be serious calcium and/or vitamin deficiency. She needs more food so get some crickets + superworms. Give her plain water without sugar + salt, that can mess up her kidneys. Best wishes too you + the poor girl !

alieeni

Original Poster
AHBD":159w0rpt said:
Hi there, good on you for trying to help the poor girl. Thankfully she doesn't appear to have an R.I on top of everything. It's good that she's eating. That being said, she is in critical condition. She has a neurological problem causing the terrible movements and black beard means stress. Do you have a reptile vet in the area ? If you fond one that is experienced with beardies they can help but otherwise don't bother. It may be ADV [ atadenovirus ] or may be serious calcium and/or vitamin deficiency. She needs more food so get some crickets + superworms. Give her plain water without sugar + salt, that can mess up her kidneys. Best wishes too you + the poor girl !

Thank you so much! There aren't any reptile vets near me sadly, but after talking to my aunt it turned out she never gave her calcium powder or any vitamins, only feeding her bugs she found around the house (specifically roaches) :( She's had her for around four years now, and she just started getting like this so I think it's a calcium/vitamin deficiency like you said. I'm going to try superworms today, I heard crickets can sometimes nibble on their skin and I really don't want her to have to deal with that on top of everything!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Order her some dubias from the websites I gave you and heat rock? No heat rocks she needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110--- make sure you have a digital probe to take temps 40 gallon I would start w/ a 100 watt
Karrie

alieeni

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cmb0eue said:
Order her some dubias from the websites I gave you and heat rock? No heat rocks she needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110--- make sure you have a digital probe to take temps 40 gallon I would start w/ a 100 watt
Karrie

Okay, I will let you know how it goes :)

alieeni

Original Poster
So I got a UVB light and bulb, set it up, and I'm going to start giving her greens tomorrow once I go get some. I took out the heating rock, and because the roaches you had sent would take so long to arrive, I got superworms for the meantime. I managed to get five of them in her mouth, she did eat and swallow them, and gave her intervals of water in between. Her stomach feels a little fuller, but obviously not extremely big as she stopped chewing and instead spit them out after the fifth worm. She's been soaking in the water and still does the head up motions and spins.

Is this good improvement? I know she's still in critical condition, but I am worried about her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that she ate , hopefully she can hold her food down O.K.

Don't leave her in the water though and don't keep a water bowl in the tank.

alieeni

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ke89e3xu said:
What did you get for UVB? I need to help you set it up
Karrie

I got an Exo Terra Reptile UVB light and Exo Terra Reptile Dome, I know it isn't the best but considering she's so sick at the moment first I want to get her back to health and be sure she'll make it, then change her entire set-up to a proper one. Right now I have it hanging up on top of her tank.

alieeni

Original Poster
I just fed her some more butternut squash baby food mixed with calcium - about 4 entire tablespoons, and she ate. She seems to be putting on some weight and her colors seem to be brighter ever since the UVB light was put in, and her skin seems softer- rough, but a bit of an improvement. As well as her eye gunk isn't forming as much with the daily baths and cleanings and she seems more active- actually putting up a fuss when I handle her. Are these good signs so soon?

lwvAK8p.jpg
(the rock isn't plugged in, she just really likes laying on it !)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes she looks much better ! Still, anything can go wrong at this point but she looks much more comfortable. The squash is good for hydration but may give her the runs. :shock: What are her basking temps . ? So you got the coil bulb in the dome ? Can you post pics of how it's set up ?

alieeni

Original Poster
AHBD":19idjfds said:
Yes she looks much better ! Still, anything can go wrong at this point but she looks much more comfortable. The squash is good for hydration but may give her the runs. :shock: What are her basking temps . ? So you got the coil bulb in the dome ? Can you post pics of how it's set up ?

I don't know the exact temp, but I'd say it's around 75 degrees if my leopard geckos thermometer says anything. It is a coil bulb, and right now it's hanging over the roof of the tank since I couldn't get a proper cover. She's got a 55 gallon and the store didn't carry those at the moment :(

r8v6ePj.jpg

They're both hanging like that around her tank. She also did defecate, it's runnier than before but not exactly like diarrhea. I'm guessing that was a result of the squash? It was a bit firmer when she had eaten worms only.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get the long tube UVB ASAP- the coil isnt going to do any good and in fact are no good - did you get the 26 watt or the 13 watt---- I would order the UVB from here these people are fast and good - http://www.pangeareptiles.com
You will need to order the 22" bulbs ---
If you have greens in the house or go buy some like collards mustard kale or turnip you can make those into a slushy type and feed her that - shes going to need those anyway every day -- your basking temps need to be 95-110 -- please get a digital probe thermometer if you dont have one yet $5 from Petsmart or Petco --- the lighting in the tank and basking temps are the most crucial thing and in her case are critical at this point
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom