Tail rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody137

My new juvenile bearded dragon’s tail is looking a bit odd as it looks like tail rot. I’m worried for it can anyone help me out.[
107590-7225650050.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks a little bad, but not awful. Did the end of the tail get pinched, it's a little hard to
tell in the picture.
Or, has he gone through a bad shed in which the skin has retained?
If it begins to get dark at the end or tip & the color travels upward & is becoming rigid then
that would be the tissue becoming necrotic.
For now, you can get some antibiotic ointment or raw, or manuka honey to put on the end
of the tail. .
Is he/she eating normally or does it seem to be bothering him?

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The tip might die and fall off, but it's important to just keep it clean so it doesn't get infected. If it gets infected, then tail rot could set it.

Using the honey like Tracie mentioned does wonders for keeping infection away. Just make sure you don't leave insects in the tank, as they will nibble at the tail with honey on it.

-Brandon

Cody137

Original Poster
Thanks Brandon and tracie, i can get a better picture when I get out of school if y’all need it

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It wouldn't hurt to see it better.

Did he come from a petstore? It most likely got bit by a tank mate. Sometimes the tail heals and it just keeps a little kink in the end. Other times the tip dies and falls off. Just keep us updated along the way :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That doesn't look too bad. It kind of looks like it may have gotten damaged recently. Was that
area on the tail when you got him?
I would just try to keep it clean & watch it as the tail starts to shed, making sure that it sheds off
without too much trouble!

Tracie

Hi. You can try a home remedy that I am currently doing myself because if the tail rot spreads it can go into the body and kill your bearded dragon. It looks like it is still at an early stage. I would dip the whole tail into WARM water mixed with betadine. You want the betadine to be diluted. So use 75% water and 25% betadine. Keep the tail submerged for a total of 5 minutes and do this 3 times every day. Total of 15 minutes daily for 2 weeks. You should start to see improvement after a week. There is a YouTube video on this home remedy. Don’t give up and don’t risk having to amputate his/her tail. Try this home remedy first to possibly cure it completely!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That little tail nip is very common. You CAN use a little betadine on it, always good for a potential problem but I highly doubt it will progress at all. I've raised many clutches of beardies over the years and small nips heal on their own about 99 % of the time. I've never had a nip like turn in to tail rot. There will almost certainly be no problem so no need for 3 X a day soaks at all. Just a dab of what was already mentiond in the other posts and a little betadine.

I thought this was tail rot! I would do the home remedy with warm diluted betadine if it becomes tail rot! And I forgot to mention to pat the tail dry after soaking and put NO pain relief neosporin on it each time!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No tail rot, there's a lot of misidentified pics on the internet that are just nips or other similar small kinks . It's good to be proactive but this small tail tip won't be a problem. And the tail is in shed so there's a darker tint to it, common especially toward the end of a dragon't tail. Dark tails are very common just like small nips. The dragon was probably housed with it's clutchmates at some point, they all are , so biting is pretty common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom