Constipated for 1 month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my bearded dragon zip is about a year old, and ever since we've got her she's had problem with infrequent bowel movements. Last month she went 3 weeks without having one, and with advice from the vet we continued to give her daily warm baths, massage her abdomen, and give her prune flavored baby food. She finally pooped after the 3 weeks. Since then today is a month since her last poop, and today she pooped out this large gelatinous poo in the picture. Does anyone have any advice or experience with such odd poo? She has a staple diet of crickets and dandelion greens, with the occasional super worm. Thanks :)
107480-6450682045.jpg
107480-9646822023.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How much calcium are you giving her ? And the poop looks dry- so that could be a sign of dehydration - what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb?
Karrie

Frostology

Original Poster
I'm usually giving her a few insects dusted with calcium around 3 times a week. I mist her a little bit in the morning before I go to work, but that's usually very early and she seems to just go back to sleep. I can't say I've ever seen her drink. UVB bulb is Zoo Med 26062 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 39W Fluorescent Lamp, 34"

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would get her into a bath and see if she will drink - if she does do not let her gorge if she starts to drink really fast stop her so she doesn't aspirate-- is she eating salads?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you post a pic of her please? They can go long periods of time as you can see w/ out pooping- are you feeding her any other supplements besides the calcium? What are her basking temps and how are you taking them also what kind of UVB are you using? Brand and bulb please-- Tube or coil?
Karrie

Frostology

Original Poster
I'm just giving her this calcium:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005BYH8KA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
From research I did it appears to contain everything she needs. Her basking temp is around 34-36 C, temps have been somewhat low over the winter as I live very far north. It's on a temperature controller to shut off if it ever gets too warm so the temperature is monitored continuously. As previously, the bulb is a tube bulb: Zoo Med 26062 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 39W Fluorescent Lamp, 34"
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQU8HKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
107317-1572005758.jpg
107311-8627972770.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well like I said they can go long periods of time w/out pooping- the T 5 is in the tank or on top of screen? Just trying to get the lighting ruled out--- the 34 c I can't convert to f now I am on my phone- if you can maybe bump it up a little see if that doesn't help w/ her digestion
Karrie

Frostology

Original Poster
34C is around 93F. The light is on top of the screen, as close as I can get it to the screen as the tank is fairly deep, luckily she spends most of her time basking on a log thats high from the ground. She ended up having more a poop today, and it looks a lot better. It seems like we keep getting worried because it takes her so long, but maybe that's just how she is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of screen is on the tank--- T 5's can be 8-10 inches from basking decor if screen is wide holed- if it's fine screen like a screen door basking decor should be 6-8 inches-- if you have a high tank I would put it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor-- and I would bump the temp up to 95-110- Farenheit
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You could try adding some sugar free applesauce to the diet to help get things moving through
the system more efficiently.
You can also bump up the basking temperatures to a range of 95-105, 110 max to help with
digestion, etc.
How is she doing today?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom