Strange movements with mouth after falling

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, a little backstory:
Yesterday, 25 February, my beardie fell from a high place (~ about half a meter) and she landed wrong. When I looked over to her, she was laying on her left side, completely unable to move.
I immediately brought her to the vet, who said that my beardie hasn't broken any bones thankfully, but she may be in shock of what happened, or hit her head from the fall and it may take a couple of days to fully heal.

-> I got painkillers to use for a couple of days (0.1 ml at 5 pm)

Now:
Currently, she's in a temporary box (not her actual terrarium, where she could risk falling from a small height because it has a "second floor") with a heating lamp in my room, and she keeps making these strange movements with her mouth. Note: she won't move at all, only when necessary or to re-adjust her position.

- She keeps opening and closing her mouth every couple of minutes
- Her eyes are closed for a small period of time and then opens them just for a moment
- Her legs sometimes twitch

I'm hoping that this will pass in a couple of days so she'll be back to her energetic self, but could you please tell me what these movements mean?

* here is a video of her: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tw0p9nr46bxcro6/VID_20200226_175444.mp4?dl=0
* her is her temporary vs actual terrarium: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrvpvv9qjm87x9y/IMG_20200226_180506.jpg?dl=0

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, that doesn't look too good.

So were x-rays preformed to determine there were no broken bones? What pain med was prescribed and what's your dragons weight?

She doesn't look too be black bearding which is a good sign.

A half meter fall really isnt that big of a fall. Did you see it happen?

-Brandon

Goldenbloo

Original Poster
Two x-rays were made, one from the top view and one from the side view. There were no broken bones visible. Goldi weighs about 540 grams, the pain med she's using is called 'Meloxicam', 0.1 ml a day.

I didn't see the fall happen, but I did hear it. When I looked over, she was laying on her left side, completely unable to move. Later she started moving a bit, after we went to the vet. Most of the time she is just laying down in one spot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, she must have hit her head so this might be neurological. Hopefully though it will pass in a few days, if not it's very serious. Be extra sure that the hot spot is no more than 90 where she's laying since she does not have the ability or the sense to move from there. Best wishes to your poor girl.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I Agree. She doesn't look good. I've seen that behavior in beardies who are very sick or stressed, beardies who have aspirated water, or beardies who have internal injuries. It also looks like she might have the beginnings of gout in those legs. Poor girl :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Vet she was taken to a REPTILE VET ?

Did she land on her nose perhaps ?

I suspect this may be due to her nasal passages being full of pus resulting from swelling and severe bruising or broken bones in her nose.
At least one nostril is clearly seen to be completely obstructed / blocked , suspect the other will be same .So she has no choice but to breath through her mouth.

Goldenbloo

Original Poster
All this time we've been trying to heal her, but she didn't make it.

The first time she fell, she had a stroke. About an hour ago, Gloldi had another stroke.
My mom witnessed it, she saw that Goldi was twitching her legs for a couple of seconds, and in less than a minute, turned limp in her terrarium. She was only 3,5 years old...

To be honest, for the last couple of days, I thought that things were getting better. She started moving around more (even if it was a couple of steps) and overall looked better. We've been giving her medication and shots. Hell, she even hung out with my parents for a bit, which she never really does, and I like to think that it was because she knew that she was going to die, so she said her goodbyes then.

In about 15 minutes we're bringing her to the vet, where they can cremate her body. It's the right thing to do, after all.

I have a lot of photos of her on my phone and on my parents' phones, so at least I have something to remember her by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom