Dehydration ? Mouth rot ? Yellow fungus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
*** before I get into the full story I do have a Vet apt for tomorrow afternoon. However this vet has given out wrong information before (dragons can hydrate through their vent, advised to use red bulbs) so I’m a little weary and want to go to the appointment fully prepared with as much info as I can . So..

I’ve had Nugget since Nov 28 2019. He is around 4 years old and I am his 3rd (and final❤️) mama. He came from some rough conditions (minimal food, heat & UVB in a tank too small). It took us close to 2 months to get his heat perfect in a new 40 gallon breeder, but he was showing great improvement within the first month & began his shedding process - according to His last owner this is his first shed in over a year.

The process started on his head and back, he shed his eyes , head , back and belly since starting. He’s still working on his tail & his lips have been pretty consistently cracked looking - which I assumed was shed.

last week I finally had my radiator fixed and my house is way warmer now, so I was able to remove some of the excessive insulation I had to use on his tank. This was great ! But then the humidity in my place dropped, I mostly only noticed because it is effecting my pacman frog. Humidity on Nuggets basking side is around 26% . Cool side stays between 30-35. Temps 98 on basking.

last week I noticed nuggets lips to seem extra crusty. Yesterday it seemed pretty inflamed on one side. Inside of his mouth seemed unremarkable from what I can tell. He’s continuing to lighten up on his beard and face so he’s still shedding that portion of his body.

his appetite seems to be down a bit, he still picks at his salad but doesn’t eat nearly as much as he used to. His appetite for bugs is unchanged.

This evening when I got home he was basking with his mouth open and so I was able to snag some pictures. To the naked eye & without flash it seems fine, with flash it looks awful yellow inside- no pus or extra mucous .

does this look like mouth rot ? Or a case of dehydration mid shed .... or the dreaded yellow fungus ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What a sweet face. Poor little Nugget, That's almost certainly mouth rot. Antibiotics are needed to help clear it up but for now you can apply raw unpasteurized honey. Be sure there are no loose insects [ especially crickets ] in the tank since they will go for the mouth. Check to see there are no crickets hiding in the tank. Is there a uvb tube mounted in the tank ?

The strange body pattern is just uneven shed BTW. Nugget looks small, it's obvious that he/she was neglected but you must have gotten him in pretty good condition considering. :) Are you sure about the gender ? If not, post pics with the tail arched like in this article :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh I hope it’s just mouth rot ! Yellow fungus seems much scarier . He’s definitely a boy, he had a sperm plug when I first brought him home ! And yes there’s an Arcadia 12% UVB bulb inside the tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that does look especially like mouth rot, unfortunately.
I agree, for now go ahead & start using some raw unpasteurized honey in the mouth & gums
area to help out any infection going on.
Definitely let us know how the vet visit goes, we will all be anxious to see what direction the
vet is going to take. He will need antibiotics to help clear that up.
He is a little cutie pie, so I hope that he starts to feel better soon.
I am glad that there is an Arcadia D3 12% tube inside of his tank. How close to him is it & is
it a T5 high output or a regular T8?

Let us know how Nugget is doing.

Tracie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The Arcadia is a t5 inside it is 12 inches diagonally from the top of his basking area. I was concerned this was too close but was told 12 inches away is fine. Should I move it to on top of the screen ?

I have a vet apt for today at 345. I also called another vet today with a better reputation for dragons but I’m not able to get in to see her until tomorrow morning at 10. Do you think it’s safe for me to wait for the better doctor tomorrow? Or does it look bad enough that I should see whoever I can get today ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your T 5 is fine where it is --- I would start w/ the honey and wait for the better Dr- no telling what this other guy is gonna tell you if he is telling people to use red light bulbs!! I would start giving water as well - either by syringe very slowly or dropping water on the nose to see if he will drink or put him in the bath to see if he will drink - then get some honey in his mouth afterwards
Karrie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok great that’s what I was hoping ! Someone else had mentioned honey but warned it could effect test results at the vet - is this true ? I want to put some on him today but I don’t want it to alter his diagnosis tomorrow.

I try and syringe him some water everyday but he rarely takes it. Usually he seems to get most of his water through his greens (I syringe some on there too) but he’s only been picking at them so he’s not getting much in as he used to. He’s been open mouth basking more often , assuming because of his sore mouth , so I’ve been able to try a few drops in then but he’ll shut his mouth after a few drops

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know how the honey would effect the results - if Tracie and AHBD said to give it to him then I would you want to start killing the infection and honey will start but the antibiotic is really gonna go after it - try and get as much as you can in him w/ the water a little is better than none
Karrie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Great thanks so much !! I was really looking forward to getting this appointment over with today but I’m glad it’s safe to wait for the more trustworthy doc tomorrow. I’m sure I’d have ended up seeing both for a second opinion anyway lol. I just sent my boyfriend out for honey in the mean time ??

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Any tips for applying honey on his lips ?

Should I put some inside of his mouth or is it not okay to ingest ?

Should I dilute it ?

Should i apply it before or after he eats ? Today is a bug day for him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Use a q tip mix w/ a little water-- after he eats- rub all over the inside of his mouth and gums
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom