Tail issue after shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our beardie recently shed his tail. The skin started to come off and the beardie grabbed the skin and pulled it off. The skin ripped off near the tip but now looks weird. The very top has not shed and right above that, the tail looks really dark. He pulled the shed skin yesterday. Any thoughts?

Flamethedragon

Original Poster
full

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Flamethedragon":215okikz said:
hes perfectly fine shed comes off in parts or patches dont ever pick it no matter how much you think you are helping him you arent give him a spray an even a min soak or so or if hes willing to stay longer would bo good when mine is in shed i spray him down in my hand once maybe twice aday have some rocks or something for him rough to rub against but not rough enough for him to get cut

Flamethedragon

Original Poster
full

This is what his tail looks like today. I am worried about the black looking scales. They look kinda smashed compared to the rest. Any thoughts? Still normal? This is only the second shed we have gone through with our beardie. He is 5 k9nths old. We got him in January.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks a little shriveled. That could be due to swelling from the area shedding around it though. You might try putting some plain aloe on the area to help it shed more easily. If it still looks shriveled after the shed keep a close eye on it. If the shriveled area starts to expand or look worse I'd bring him into a vet to check for an infection.

Flamethedragon

Original Poster
full

This is today. The tip hasn't changed but the shriveled, black part looks worse. That black part seems stiff also and will not bend like the rest of the tail. I called our vet and they don't have an appointment until tomorrow. Should he be ok until then? Has anyone seen this happen before?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he'll be fine until tomorrow. That may heal + cause no further damage but some times that type of condition is the start of tail rot. You can use raw honey on it as well , it's a natural antimicrobial. A worse case scenario if it's tail rot is amputation slightly above the area [ beardies handle it very well, hardly phases them ] but just see what the vet says. BTW is the vet a true reptile vet ? There's a big difference between exotics vet + a true reptile vet.

Flamethedragon

Original Poster
Thanks! Yes, the vet was recommended by a well established wildlife discovery center. This vet works with all the reptiles there including a Komodo dragon! I also found the vet listed on the site recommended by the Chicago Herpitological Society (I forget the name of the site but looks like a national registry?). Glad to know he will be okay before we get to the vet tomorrow. He is still eating well and is his same normal self outside of the bottom of his tail. I will post another pic of unchanging out shortly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like Flame will be in good hands then. He's a handsome boy and your son chose an appropriate name for him. :)

Flamethedragon

Original Poster
full

Back from the vet! Turns out he (beardie) had damaged his tail when he ripped the skin off. It was dead in that black spot so they amputated above the dead spot. They said he will be just fine and otherwise looks great!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good call, these injuries can sometimes creep undetected under the scales and cause further damage to tissue underneath, further up on the tail. Hopefully [ and most likely ] this will heal with no problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom