URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewH17

I came home for the weekend and my roommate was taking care of my breaded dragon.. and his beard was kinda puffy and he opened his mouth and I saw some bubbles is it okay? Please help

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Is he black bearding at all.

Did you ask your roommate how he has been and if he's been acting funny? Or if anything odd happened?
Did the roommate bathe him at all?

-Brandon

AndrewH17

Original Poster
Hey Brandon,
My roommate isn’t home so I’ll get an answer for you in a few minutes but to answer your question, no it’s not black breading it just looks swollen. And no he didn’t give it a bath. It’s only almost 4 months old and I haven’t bathed it yet..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you post a picture of him?

Is he breathing weird at all? It could have just been some thick saliva.

It's good that he's not showing his dark colors. That might indicate he is in pain or distress. Is he acting generally ok besides the bubbles in the mouth? If you could post a picture showing the bubbles that would help too.

I only asked about the bath because sometimes they can aspirate water in the bath. But if no baths, that obviously rules that out.

-Brandon

AndrewH17

Original Poster
How do I add photos on this website... hes breathing weird yes but only sometime he will kinda open his mouth and gasp for air it looks like but im not too sure

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos directly to the site here:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Or you can upload your photos to any image hosting site.

If you upload here, you will get an XIMG code. Just copy and paste that to your post and your picture will show.

If you upload somewhere else, just post the link or copy and paste the image url inbetween img brackets.

Oh deary, that's unfortunate that he seems to be having trouble breathing. Does he have access at all to water? Is there any way he could have aspirated water?

If not, it's unlikely that he would have developed a respiratory infection unless his temperatures were really out of whack for awhile, or humidity has been too high. But even if humidity was high, proper temps should essentially combat that.

-Brandon

AndrewH17

Original Poster
He usually and at little bowl of water in his tank but he never usually drinks out of it, it get most of it water from the crickets. But when I came back the water bowl was dry but I was only away for a day... I had to leave his heat lamp on for one full night once because my roommate came home in the morning so the light was on the whole night could this be the problem and should I take him to the vet

AndrewH17

Original Poster
full
[/img]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The light staying on wouldn't have caused this. It's more likely he aspirated his water. Accidents happen sometimes.

Can you go over your husbandry with us just so we can make sure it's up to par?
What UV bulb do you use?
What is your basking surface temperature? And how do you measure your temperatures?
What does his daily diet look like? Please include quantities.

A picture of him and of his tank would help.

Unfortunately, trouble breathing and bubbles in the mouth is a sign of, at the least, respiratory distress. Usually it's indicative of an upper respiratory infection. If that's the case, he will definitely need to see a vet for treatment. Usually antibiotics to help clear the infection.

If you hold him gently and angle his head and body downwards, are you able to get any fluid to drain? Don't flip him over onto his back, he won't be able to breath, just angle him downwards.

Keeping him warmer overnight will help him. If you have a CHE , try to keep him at around 80 overnight. This keeps the immune system more active and the heat will help to dry the lungs.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh boy his beard looks quite distended. I wonder if he could have ate something too large and it's stuck in his throat? That's another possibility I didn't think of until seeing the picture (why pictures help so much!)

Is that a possibility?

I'm going to go ahead and move your thread to the ER section instead of health. Bare with me. You'll get better exposure and help in the ER section.

-Brandon

AndrewH17

Original Poster
He uses a 13W reptile UVB 150 (desert uvb) right now the basking temperature is at 95.1F I measure this with a electrical thermometer, his daily diet is around 4-5 maybe 6 baby crickets twice a day as that’s all he really eats off the tongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom