Page 1 of 1

Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:49 pm
by Mitch1998
Hi there I own my Hypo Trans Bearded dragon called Greg
Only 1 years old and have had him since he was 2 months.

Everything has been going great until recently I’ve started noticing slight cuts on Greg’s feet all 4 feet are effected 2 with quite major injury ( or what I think look most sore )

Pictures are attached.

I was thinking it’s stuck shed which is appearing but I’m not sure what I can do for greg?
Plus I’m not sure if I can help the wounds?

Any help would be much Appreciated!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130513649 ... 3150550942[/url]

[Click image to enlarge]

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 pm
by KarrieRee
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pic it should post --- what are you using for substrate ?
Karrie

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm
by Mitch1998
KarrieRee wrote:https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pic it should post --- what are you using for substrate ?
Karrie


Ive now attached my Flickr the images should be on there!

Currently I have a loose sand substrate?

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:22 pm
by KarrieRee
ok so at first I thought it looked like a burn but I am not sure -- I dont think sand would cause that -- do you have a heat mat or heat rock or what are you using for a basking piece? Do all 4 feet look like that ?
Karrie

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:33 pm
by Mitch1998
KarrieRee wrote:ok so at first I thought it looked like a burn but I am not sure -- I dont think sand would cause that -- do you have a heat mat or heat rock or what are you using for a basking piece? Do all 4 feet look like that ?
Karrie



No there’s nothing that can be burning him as I don’t use and other heat sources other than his heat lamp that he cannot touch.
I didn’t think sand would effect it either I really don’t know how the wounds came about, I can provide a picture of his vivarium if that helps?

No not all 4 feet look like that the one you see there (front right) is the most sore, the back left is at a similar soreness, the other 2 aren’t cut as bad at all - there are more picture on the Flickr link

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm
by KarrieRee
Yes please post a pic of the tank ---- something hes touching is causing this -- I would recommend you ditch the sand --- first it harbors bacteria and next it can cause impaction - I would recommend either going to a NON adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile - both are cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 in a spray bottle - and the insects cant get underneath it -- the tile would need to be cut w/a tile cutter so you dont get the jagged edges - and no grout or seal leave loose cut to the size of the tank and it should be a textured so he cant slip but not course so its rubbing causes sores - i also use a thick shop paper towel underneath the tile to catch the watery urate --- makes cleaning up so easy - now to figure out what is causing the sore feet ---
Karrie

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:56 pm
by Mitch1998
KarrieRee wrote:Yes please post a pic of the tank ---- something hes touching is causing this -- I would recommend you ditch the sand --- first it harbors bacteria and next it can cause impaction - I would recommend either going to a NON adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile - both are cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 in a spray bottle - and the insects cant get underneath it -- the tile would need to be cut w/a tile cutter so you dont get the jagged edges - and no grout or seal leave loose cut to the size of the tank and it should be a textured so he cant slip but not course so its rubbing causes sores - i also use a thick shop paper towel underneath the tile to catch the watery urate --- makes cleaning up so easy - now to figure out what is causing the sore feet ---
Karrie


[Click image to enlarge]


Thankyou Karrie I will look into changing my substrate asap.

As for the cuts I’m currently bathing every few days to help what I think is the stuck shed around the cuts, I also use tamodine on the wounds at the same time as bathing him, I just don’t know what else I can do to help?

As for my tank
1. Suspect one is the small rock, it’s not a sharp rock at all and can’t see it causing cuts but for now I will take it out.
2 . Suspect 2 - the wicker hammock, I’ve heard a lot about hammocks good and bad, but I don’t think it can cause a cut like that can it?
3. My main suspect is the door slider, as this is the main sharpness, but as this is a regular part of a commonly sold vivarium I don’t know if there are other options or has happened to other bearded dragons, I have taped the sharp bit for now but still not sure!

[Click image to enlarge]

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:24 am
by AHBD
Hi there, does Greg usually crawl over that sharp edge to be let out ? If so I would also suspect as you do, that's the cause. You can put raw honey on those wounds + they should heal up just fine as long as he can't re-injure them. :) In this case it is best to go with non adhesive shelf liner, with his little wounds the tile can be irritating. I would put down a few layers of newspaper with shelf liner on top to keep the flooring softer.

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:18 am
by Drache613
Hello,

How are your little beardie's feet doing?
Definitely do try the honey on his feet, to help out in case they might be getting infected.

I was looking at the lighting in your tank. The tube bulb is mounted inside of the tank which
is great. Is it mounted on the back of the tank? If so, is there a way you can mount it right
overhead of your dragon, still underneath of the screen? When the light is mounted without
an enclosed fixture, directly overhead, the UVB isn't directed downwards, onto your dragon
& he wont be able to get the maximum benefits from the light.
I love the nice piece of driftwood in the tank!

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Re: Beardies cut feet? Help?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 am
by Mitch1998
Drache613 wrote:Hello,

How are your little beardie's feet doing?
Definitely do try the honey on his feet, to help out in case they might be getting infected.

I was looking at the lighting in your tank. The tube bulb is mounted inside of the tank which
is great. Is it mounted on the back of the tank? If so, is there a way you can mount it right
overhead of your dragon, still underneath of the screen? When the light is mounted without
an enclosed fixture, directly overhead, the UVB isn't directed downwards, onto your dragon
& he wont be able to get the maximum benefits from the light.
I love the nice piece of driftwood in the tank!

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie



Yes tracie, Greg’s feet are okay some of the stuck shed has now come off his back foot just seems a little raw/sore now, no actual cuts on the back feet now anyways. As of now I’m just still worrying about his front probs the most major cut on his front feet, but yes I’m off to get him some honey and looking on removing the sand out of his tank to minimise the chance of infection.

As for my tank I don’t think my photo does much justice, I do have x2 UVB bulbs on the roof of the tank ( just seems to be on the back on the photo but it’s not)
And thankyou it too me ages to find a good bit of drift wood like that I am soo pleased with it and so is greg😁