Help my beardie fell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kkhesch78

Lastnight my 4 month old beardie fell 3 feet off her enclosure n its bruised n won't open eyes... she's breathing n will try to get away from me when i was checking her out but will not eat or open her eyes AND is visibly bruised.... I'm reaaaalllllly upset and don't have the money for a vet please please any advice is appreciated thx

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get the dragon to a vet --- its possible he has internal injuries --- dont wait -
here is a website to find a vet
www.arav.org
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Did the dragon fall onto it's head? It seems odd to have injuries on both sides of the face like that.

3 feet really isn't that big of a fall for these guys, did you see it happen?

She hasn't black bearded at all or gone dark colored has she? How long has it been since the fall? Any improvement at all?

There isn't much you can do at home, and I'm not sure a vet could do much besides scan the area and determine if there is a bigger issue at hand. If there is, the dragon would most likely need to be put down. If not, pain medicine might be prescribed, which might help, or anti-inflamatories. I do think you should go to the vet though.

If you have a CHE, keep it on and keep her temps around 80 overnight. Warmer temps tend to keep their body functions more active, which will hopefully help her heal sooner.

Unfortunately, since she isn't opening either eye and it looks like liquid has drained from them she most likely ruptured something or at the least has a lot of pressure in that area.

-Brandon

Kkhesch78

Original Poster
Hey... this happened lastnight. My daughter left her on top of her cage n went upstairs n forgot and when i got gone 15 20 mins later she was on the floor... now i do have a large dog that wouldn't have bit her butt may have stepped on her... omg i never thought about that possibility... lastnight her beard was all black n she was puffing n she had never done that b4... I'm a newly single fur n real mom... i just don't have the money for a vet... that's why I'm asking on here... i feel terrible for her

Did the dragon fall onto it's head? It seems odd to have injuries on both sides of the face like that.

3 feet really isn't that big of a fall for these guys, did you see it happen?

She hasn't black bearded at all or gone dark colored has she? How long has it been since the fall? Any improvement at all?

There isn't much you can do at home, and I'm not sure a vet could do much besides scan the area and determine if there is a bigger issue at hand. If there is, the dragon would most likely need to be put down. If not, pain medicine might be prescribed, which might help, or anti-inflamatories. I do think you should go to the vet though.

If you have a CHE, keep it on and keep her temps around 80 overnight. Warmer temps tend to keep their body functions more active, which will hopefully help her heal sooner.

Unfortunately, since she isn't opening either eye and it looks like liquid has drained from them she most likely ruptured something or at the least has a lot of pressure in that area.

-Brandon[/quote]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Sorry I wasn't trying to accuse you of misrepresenting what happened. I was just commenting how I find it very unlikely for that actually to be the cause. Actually, right after I posted what it looked like to me was a cat attack. But you mention a dog, that makes more sense. A dog attack looks more consistent with the injuries that your dragon has. If you think your dog might have pawed at it, that definitely could cause those injuries.

That is an important differentiation though because now if we assume it to be an animal attack, it raises the possibilities of complications. The eyes could have been scratched by claws, that could be why the eyes aren't being open. The sides of the face also appear to have scratch marks, possibly bite marks I suppose. It depends on the breed of dog you have.

That also raises the possibility that infection can set it if the wounds are caused from claws or teeth.

I understand the position you are in. I've been there too financially. Sometimes you really just don't have money, no one will bash you here for that. We are here to help you and your dragon, so please don't feel any other way.

What I would do though, is call a vet and perhaps just describe the situation. Sometimes vets are willing to at least look at the creature for free and give you advice, if not just treat them for a greatly reduced cost.

It's good that she isn't black bearding anymore. She was either in a lot of pain and/or scared after the attack, hence the beard. Her not showing her black beard anymore can be seen as a good sign, but it's definitely not a sign she is out of the woods.

Upon closer examination, are you able to determine if the marks on her head are scratches as opposed to bruises?

-Brandon

Kkhesch78

Original Poster
Oh no i didn't think you were saying that... i just never thought about my dog until you pointed out the injuries on both sides being odd for a fall... made me think... i just assumed she fell n that's what happen not that she fell then my dog saw her n pawed her hes 100lbs wouldn't hurt anything on purpose but would definitely paw at her trying to play... ? she did fight with me when i was cleaning her face n looking her over but yea she won't open her eyes n won't eat or drink for me... i doubt want to stress her out so she's in her cage with heat... i just read raw honey could help? N her head n eyes are definitely bruised... thank you btw... I'm freaking out n feel terrible about this whole thing...

Sorry I wasn't trying to accuse you of misrepresenting what happened. I was just commenting how I find it very unlikely for that actually to be the cause. Actually, right after I posted what it looked like to me was a cat attack. But you mention a dog, that makes more sense. A dog attack looks more consistent with the injuries that your dragon has. If you think your dog might have pawed at it, that definitely could cause those injuries.

That is an important differentiation though because now if we assume it to be an animal attack, it raises the possibilities of complications. The eyes could have been scratched by claws, that could be why the eyes aren't being open. The sides of the face also appear to have scratch marks, possibly bite marks I suppose. It depends on the breed of dog you have.

That also raises the possibility that infection can set it if the wounds are caused from claws or teeth.

I understand the position you are in. I've been there too financially. Sometimes you really just don't have money, no one will bash you here for that. We are here to help you and your dragon, so please don't feel any other way.

What I would do though, is call a vet and perhaps just describe the situation. Sometimes vets are willing to at least look at the creature for free and give you advice, if not just treat them for a greatly reduced cost.

It's good that she isn't black bearding anymore. She was either in a lot of pain and/or scared after the attack, hence the beard. Her not showing her black beard anymore can be seen as a good sign, but it's definitely not a sign she is out of the woods.

Upon closer examination, are you able to determine if the marks on her head are scratches as opposed to bruises?

-Brandon[/quote]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to read about this accident. I am 99% positive that's a bite or very hard scratch from being pawed, the dog may not really have tried to hurt him but just grabbed him like a toy. The dragon is likely traumatized but you can't really know the extent of the injuries without Xray. Can you borrow some money ? From the appearance it looks like a survivable injury but you'd still want to check. Get some raw honey on the wounds for now, it can do wonders as an anti inflammatory + antimicrobial. You can mix it with just a tiny bit of warm water but keep it on the thick side. Put it directly in the eye as well [ I have done this before ] I do think she'll survive....she's not going to want to eat now so that's normal. It's good that she's moving. Do NOT leave any insects n her cage, check for loose crickets or others, they will feast on her wounds over night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh i Bet, I would feel awful too! Accidents happen though. It's not your fault.

Raw unpasteurized honey is a great antimicrobial and helps speed up the wound healing process. It won't hurt. You can even dilute some in warm water and try to drip a few drops on her eyes.

It's not a fix all, but it can help. My biggest worry right now is that the eyes have been damaged, which will be very painful for her. But, she might just be keeping them closed to protect them right now. If you use the honey, obviously make sure there are no loose insects in the tank that would be attracted to it.

Yes, at this point I think for sure it had to have been your dog pawing at her. I'm sure he is a sweetheart and wasn't trying to hurt her.

The good thing (if you want to call it that) about it not being a fall so hard that it caused head bruising, is that most likely her brain and skull are fine. But like I said, my biggest concern right now is her eyes.

-Brandon

Kkhesch78

Original Poster
Yea gonna get honey in the morning... hopefully she'll be ok... praying.. thanks for all your help... I'll update soon

claudiusx":9oca6t8l said:
Oh i Bet, I would feel awful too! Accidents happen though. It's not your fault.

Raw unpasteurized honey is a great antimicrobial and helps speed up the wound healing process. It won't hurt. You can even dilute some in warm water and try to drip a few drops on her eyes.

It's not a fix all, but it can help. My biggest worry right now is that the eyes have been damaged, which will be very painful for her. But, she might just be keeping them closed to protect them right now. If you use the honey, obviously make sure there are no loose insects in the tank that would be attracted to it.

Yes, at this point I think for sure it had to have been your dog pawing at her. I'm sure he is a sweetheart and wasn't trying to hurt her.

The good thing (if you want to call it that) about it not being a fall so hard that it caused head bruising, is that most likely her brain and skull are fine. But like I said, my biggest concern right now is her eyes.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you, I know me and AHBD will be thinking about you and your dragon.And many more who view these threads and don't post. What is her name by the way?
The whole BD.org community is rootin' for you two! :D

We will very eagerly be awaiting any updates you can provide. Dragons are fighters, hoping for a speedy recovery for her :)

-Brandon

Kkhesch78

Original Poster
Thanks you all sooooo much... her name is Luna... I'm gonna call some vets in the morning n hopefully get har seen...

uote="claudiusx"]Thank you, I know me and AHBD will be thinking about you and your dragon.And many more who view these threads and don't post. What is her name by the way?
The whole BD.org community is rootin' for you two! :D

We will very eagerly be awaiting any updates you can provide. Dragons are fighters, hoping for a speedy recovery for her :)

-Brandon[/quote]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well good luck to you and Luna! Hopefully by tomorrow she is opening her eyes, that will be a big relief if we can see the eyes and if they are damaged at all. Will also make getting some honey in the eyes easier :)

Keep us posted :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Luna, I am sorry this happened. I concur, it definitely does look more like your dog got
to her instead of just from falling.
Were you able to get some honey also? They do close their eyes & wont open them due to
extreme stress or trauma which she would be in after a dog attack. I hope that her eyes are
not damaged in any way.
Let us know how she is doing. I hope you can find a vet to have her checked out, soon. We
all understand & have been in the same financial boat as well.
Do keep her warm in her tank overnight, around 80 or so, since she is not doing well right now.
It will help to keep her immune system boosted up, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom