Urates only, not eating bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhpsp

Hi all,

First off, thank you for the continual support and help with all my concerns and questions! Being a new beardie owner it is a huge relief and helps ease my worries.

Now, Nigel has been extremely active. She is constantly glass surfing, I’ve been taking her out more. About a week ago it looked like she had a crushed egg that passed with her feces.

I have provided her a digging tub, which she hasn’t used at all. I have not felt any eggs forming or seen an increase in her abdomen area.

Now, two days in a row, she has passed only urates! She also isn’t interested in her bugs, when normally she goes crazy for. I’m quite worried about the behavior changes. Today it was just urates. But yesterday it was more liquid and milky in color.

Her temps are good, her uvb lights are newer (~2 month).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes when they go through hyperactive phases it can cause them to lose appetite and pass more frequent poops and sometimes just urate like what you're seeing. I would be very cautious about the egg yolk though. Problems with egg development don't always show outwardly and can be pretty dangerous. A follow up visit with a vet to do an ultrasound or x-ray to try and get a better idea of what's going on.

rhpsp

Original Poster
Thank you. Is it possible for it to be just a hyperactive phase? The only reptile vet around is crazy expensive. I’ve brought her in for fluids before and a fecal.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, based on your last thread it's most likely an egg issue.

Can you post a picture of the lay box you made?
Are you keeping the sand damp so that it holds its shape when dug in?

-Brandon

rhpsp

Original Poster
I can tomorrow. She’s at school (class pet) I just have a plastic dish tub filled with sand, I have been keeping it damp. Is the dish tub too small?

rhpsp

Original Poster
Today Nigel’s head was ok, now she has discoloration. Attached is a picture.

I’m super worried about her. In the mornings she is relaxed. Afternoon she goes crazy active. She ate 1 roach today. Still pooped urates
106655-1625645436.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They sometimes darken like that when they are cold or stressed.

How deep is the sand in the box? I'd make it at least 5 or 6 inches if you can. It looks like its damp so that's good. Sometimes putting her in there and then covering it encourages them to lay as it helps them feel more secure.

If she doesnt lay soon I'd be very much considering having a vet appointment made already. Based on the fact that she passed what was most likely ruptured egg, she has a much higher chance of suffering complications such as infection. I dont mean to scare you I just want you to know the potential severity of the situation.

I hope she will lay soon. Do you feel eggs at all? A lot of times you can't unfortunately.

-Brandon

rhpsp

Original Poster
Unfortunately I don’t feel anything. Sand is about 5 inches.

How long should I wait?

Thanks so much for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom