Blood in Poop and Decreased Appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardeddragonDino

Hatchling Member
Lately, I have noticed that my bearded dragon's poop hasn't been looking quite normal. It was sort of undigested and unformed, and I also have seen drops of blood in it the past couple of times. Tonight, I went to feed her and she did not want to eat and had a significant black beard, so I put her back in her tank. She then used the bathroom and after she went I noticed a drop of blood come out of her vent. I got her back out and was able to get her to eat when I set the dubia roach right in front of her. I'm thinking maybe it is parasite related, but the fresh, bright red blood is concerning me, along with the fact that she is not eating (because she normally has a very large appetite). Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post a pic of the poop are you sure its blood - ? Has she eaten something red or are you giving supplements that have red in them?
Karrie

BeardeddragonDino

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2e7unb75 said:
Post a pic of the poop are you sure its blood - ? Has she eaten something red or are you giving supplements that have red in them?
Karrie
I already cleaned it up so I can’t post a picture, but I’m almost positive it’s blood. It’s not a lot, but it has a bright red blood color.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If she does it again get a pic of it ---- what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb? What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Does the poop smell bad enough to drive you from the room? It would help if you would post a pic of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree, if you could get a picture of the poo, that might help.

So it's actually a drop or two of red liquid? It's not just a red or discolored urate?

When she was blackbearding and then poo'd, did she struggle to poop or did it come out relatively easy? Does her vent look ok or is it inflamed at all?

It's possible that she has some parasites present. Setting up a fecal check at a reptile vet would be a good idea. Parasites can definitely upset them enough to not want to eat. Especially if it was causing her to back beard.

Could you post a picture of her and her setup?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that you are able to get into the vet.

Make sure they actually do a fecal test. You don't want to just be blindly medicating.

It's not a guarantee that it's parasites though, that's why I asked for the extra info from you. If you could still respond to it, that might help paint a clearer picture.

Either way, let us know how the vet goes.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom