Not eating x 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoagDad

Hey all,

So we've been having issues with our 3 month old beardie. He all of a sudden stopped eating all insects 1 week ago. He was on a staple of crickets and collard greens before he stopped. We've tried doing butter worms and BSFL without success. He's sometimes active but mostly lethargic. We started feeding him sweet potato and turkey, carrot and butternut squash baby food mixed with calcium and multivitamin but we're lucky if he takes tops 1/2 ml of the baby food. We've been trying warm baths while massaging him because he hasn't pooped in quite some time either. We have a T5HO 10.0 Reptisun tube with reflector hood sitting on top of his mesh lid. His basking spot is approximately 6 inches away from the tube. Temps are 114F at his basking spot and 72F at his cool side. He's showing stress marks pretty much constantly with the only time that they're decreased when he's basking. He's in our family room which is a high traffic area with both kids and dogs. He's been great up until this point but I don't know what to do to get the poor guy to eat. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His basking temp is 114?????????????? How are you taking that temp??????? Digital probe? Infrared heat gun? or Stick on? If its truly a 114 it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hot-- you need basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or infrared heat gun and they should be 105-110 not hotter ---
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
Hey it's via a digital probe sitting at his basking spot. I'll go to a smaller wattage bulb and see if that helps, thanks Karrie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The activity in the room could also be a cause but I would not move him just yet --- he should be active and basking - how long have you had him? They will go thru relocation stress but to quit eating completely not good --- get the basking temp adjusted and see what happens - if not we will haft to try and see what else could be going on
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
Hey Karrie, so I got the temperature at his basking spot to 104.5F. He's not running around the viv at all, just sitting on his basking spot mostly. We've had him for 6 weeks and up until last week everything was fine, eating like a champ and pooping with urates.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the UVB and heat bulb together so he's under both? I would either get him into a bath and see if he will drink or syringe feed slowly some water- for him to quit eating all of a sudden is odd--- can you take a pic of the tank lights and him--
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
They’re side by side. Here’s the tank:

107150-9890320310.jpg

And heres Smoag:

107150-2024315903.jpg

107150-6770223668.jpg

107150-8102467474.jpg

He does take water from a dropper and 1/2 ml of baby food from a syringe when we bathe him. We’ve been doing baths daily to make sure he keeps hydrated and to see if it would aid him in getting better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I am not sure what is going on- see if his basking temp will make a difference now w/ it being lowered- also what does his poop look like? Is it runny or does it have shape formed ? What about urate-? Does the smell stink really bad like enough to drive you from the room?
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
Yeah that’s my other big concern. He hasn’t pooped in 4 days. I’m thinking it’s impaction. I haven’t seen anything in the bath as far as I can remember. Ive tried water and baby food but he takes so little. I was reading that olive oil might help so I might try a little bit of that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Baby prunes or unsweetened applesauce too feed him like a 1/2 ML -- we need him to go --- have you been feeding him meal worms? I am not sure what would of caused impaction but if he has not been basking for longer than a week w/ the high temps that could be it too -
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
Yeah I’ll keep going with the baby prunes. My son felt like he might have gotten too large of a cricket and that seems when this all started to happen. Thinking of going to the vet tomorrow as I’m not sure what else to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
NO ENEMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may take a few days for the prunes etc to work -- its best they go naturally -- he is too young for an enema!! Do not feed any more bugs for till he goes and then you will haft to start slowly again----------------- bugs should not be bigger than the size between their eyes -- I would switch over to dubia roaches
Karrie

SmoagDad

Original Poster
For sure no enemas I’ve read too many horror stories about those. We went to butter worms to try and entice him also BSFL but he won’t touch them. Unfortunately no Dubias allowed where I’m at.

SmoagDad

Original Poster
No deal on the discoid roaches either. I came home today to 1 poop and some urates so I was happy to see that. I’ve continued with the baby food and tried BSFL and butter worms with little success. He stares at them and seems interested but won’t pull the trigger on eating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom