Manuka Honey for Yellow Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
107228-8411914576.jpg
107228-5432998459.jpg
I have a tiny Bearded Dragon I got 2 months ago. All lighting and temps are great in her 30 gal long enclosure. Fecal exam was negative. She wasn’t eating much and had an eye infection so I took her to the vet. Used Terramycin on her eye for 2 weeks and Bee Pollen on her food to get her to eat more.
The vet noticed yellow on her chest and beard yesterday and is thinking it’s Yellow Fungus. She is only 10 grams in weight so he couldn’t do a biopsy. I suggested it may be Dye from the Bee Pollen. Not sure.

My question - should I treat with Manuka honey and how do I do that on such a tiny baby?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim & Sedona

Kimdkeenan

Original Poster
The vet said that she was too tiny to survive a biopsy and that the medication could kill her also. This is why I’m trying homeopathic treatments. Still hoping it’s stained from Bee Pollen too.

Kimdkeenan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ogkfgtj said:
Where is the yellow suspected fungus?
Karrie
He saw it on her chest and under her chin. That’s why I am hoping it’s just stain from the Bee Pollen she’s been eating. ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That does not look like yellow fungus more of the bee pollen dye--- please tell us what your using for a UVB and basking temps - what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun or digital probes ? NO STICK ONS they are totally inaccurate ---- if you can post pics of her tank and lighting that would be most helpful
Karrie

Kimdkeenan

Original Poster
107228-997884791.jpg

I use a heat gun. Temps are from 79-113°. Zilla T8 Dessert UVB strip mounted inside. Tile flooring. I feed her Dubias, wax worms and greens. She loves greens the most.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The fixture on the T 8 does it have the cover over the bulb? If it is take it off the cover is blocking the UVB rays and that bulb is not that strong of one if your using the Zilla bulb? If you are I would switch the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 and have it approx 8-10 inches from basking spot directly over head - it will fit right into the fixture --- those bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months -- 113 is a little warm - 110 is usually the max -- thats a good girl shes eating her greens - here is a website for nutrition it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
here is some websites to get her different worms
www.symtonbsf.com order large and they are a great staple feeder they dont need to be dusted w/ calcium or vitamins -
www.https://reptilesupply.com/ this place has small super worms for her plus you can get dubia roaches they are a great staple feeder
butter worms are good along w/ silk worms as well - you can get the silk worms from here
www.https://reptilianarts.com/
the butter worms can be ordered from here as they are out right now
www.dubiaroaches.com ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is a way better bulb --- they are like around $18--20 from Petco or Petsmart - Reptisun 10.0 T 8 - it will say it on the box
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That eye doesn't look good at all. You might try the manuka honey, but I'm not sure if it will be effective against a fungus. I don't think it would hurt to try though. I would apply some with a q-tip around the eye where it is crusty. You'll want to make sure bugs and dirt stay away from it. If it comes out too thick you can try diluting it with a little bit of water too. It's too bad she is so small and there are fewer options available in this case.

Kimdkeenan

Original Poster
Believe it or not, her eye looks Better than it did when I started treating it over 2 weeks ago. The vet gave me Terramycin for it. I will try the Manuka Honey on it. I am more concerned about the vet thinking she has Yellow Fungus on her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, so sorry about your baby's eye. It does look like possible Y.F., either that or some type of wound/infection. The honey may be very helpful so that's a good choice. At least your vet was honest + not taking your money by trying to treat with harsh meds. for fungus. Hopefully it's not Y.F., it may be but you can give the honey a try. BTW you did a great job with the set up, nice choice of decor and hanging the uvb inside the tank.

Kimdkeenan

Original Poster
Thank you! I thought her eye was originally from a cricket bite. I covered her food in Bee Pollen to make her want to eat. I am Praying that she is just stained from that. It’s the same exact color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom