Possible Beardie Foot Infection! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I got my baby Beardie 2 or 3 weeks ago. The PetSmart said she (or he) was 3 months old but he looks to be around 2. Everything was fine until her toe started blackening and stiffening up. It’s swollen at the (knuckle maybe?) and is now stiff. She runs on her foot and everything and eats all fine and doesn’t show anything wrong but worried the infection may spread if it is an infection. Please help! I’m very worried!
107208-3453437691.jpg
107208-5689525898.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since you got her from Petsmart, it's likely an injury from a tank mate's bite probably.
Does it seem to be bothering her?
If it is bothering her & starting to get infected, I would consider taking her into the vets if
it seems to be spreading. If it gets infected, it could travel up the foot & leg area, making
her ill.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey on hand you could put on the toe?

How is her appetite?

Tracie

CrunchyBeardedBaby

Original Poster
Drache613":1ix4xcwt said:
Hello,

Since you got her from Petsmart, it's likely an injury from a tank mate's bite probably.
Does it seem to be bothering her?
If it is bothering her & starting to get infected, I would consider taking her into the vets if
it seems to be spreading. If it gets infected, it could travel up the foot & leg area, making
her ill.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey on hand you could put on the toe?

How is her appetite?

Tracie

Her appetite is perfectly fine, up to 20 small crickets a day. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her at all but I don’t know how to tell if it does become an infection and that’s my worry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I would take some precautionary action and start treating w/ the honey - watch and see what it does - if it starts to turn black and just not right post more pics of it here and someone can tell you what its doing - you can also get her into the vet now have them look at it and see what they recommend -- I gave a website see if there is a vet near you
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only apply the honey if there is still an unhealed scar there or an open injury.

I doubt it will be absorbed through the skin on the infected toe.

That said , I think you should get the dragon's toe seen by a reptile vet , some antibiotics are what is needed , and the sooner they are started , the better the chance of saving the toe unless the toe is already necrotic , in which case it needs the vet to remove it before the gangrene spreads throughout the entire foot and into the leg.
Quick action and proper treatment is needed here.

CrunchyBeardedBaby

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1nxv94sk said:
Only apply the honey if there is still an unhealed scar there or an open injury.

I doubt it will be absorbed through the skin on the infected toe.

That said , I think you should get the dragon's toe seen by a reptile vet , some antibiotics are what is needed , and the sooner they are started , the better the chance of saving the toe unless the toe is already necrotic , in which case it needs the vet to remove it before the gangrene spreads throughout the entire foot and into the leg.
Quick action and proper treatment is needed here.
I don’t have a bet near me, and my parents won’t let me take her because they think it’s going to be fine. I’m incredibly worried especially since I don’t know how to fix an infection of it turns into one.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The honey is a good choice to use for an at home treatment. Sometimes the toe ends up just falling off but you definitely want to try to keep any infection at bay which is where the honey comes in.

Make sure you get a raw unpasteurized honey. Better of you have a beekeeper near by you can get some fresh from so you know it's not fake junk.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom