Bearded Dragon Possibly Inhaled Water? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaschaSasha

Hi. I’m going to make this brief because I am panicking and I cannot really type coherently while panicking.

Short version: I have a bearded dragon named Zeus. I gave him a bath just now, and I think he inhaled some water into his lungs. I’m severely visually impaired (basically blind, before you ask I’m using a screenreader and Braille display to navigate the internet) and while I did my best to watch him my vision loss is so severe I can’t tell you exactly what happened while in the bath. He hates bathtime, and once I took him out he became extremely agitated, black bearded, and promptly pooped on me. I thought that was the end of that, and so I put him in his tank to heat up and went to go clean up the poop.

Unfortunately he has now: become majorly lethargic, has a persistent black beard despite not being angry, is making concerning sounding gurgling noises, and has his mouth open (very, very slightly). I googled and found that he likely inhaled some water, but I cannot take him to the vet. I’m unable to take him myself because I’m blind and can’t drive, my regular vet is closed, and my mother won’t take him to the emergency vet. She won’t even let me call to ask questions.

I love Zeus more than anything in this world. I’m so upset at myself for allowing this to happen and all I want is to make sure he survives. My other lizard, Ziggy the crested gecko, passed away this morning in my palm after his body finally shut down and I cannot cope with losing Zeus today too. Is there anything I can do to help him at home?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,
Very sorry this is happening! I don't have experience with it personally, but in reading other threads, you may be able to angle him downward (tail higher than head) so that if Zeus aspirated any water, it'd have a better chance of coming out. Maybe if he's got a basking log, put him on it to where he's got a good grip and then invert it at a shallow angle. Sorry, that's the best advice I can give at the moment if a vet visit isn't possible. Wishing you both good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom