I rescued a bearded dragon... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awcrews

Hey guys! Let me first say that I am not a reptile kind of person. I am, however, an animal lover!
So, I am a housekeeper. One of my client’s has a bearded dragon (had). I noticed last week that it did t move a lot. I almost called a friend then. Fast forward to a week ahead, which was yesterday. The little guy was the same. Do, I called a friend and her son came by and checked out the situation. He said it was bad.
Long story short, I when my work was done I left with Drake, the bearded dragon. I drove straight to the pet store for some advise since it was 6pm in a Friday. The nice girl was very knowledgeable and sadly, she too said it may be a lost cause. At one point she even asked if he was even alive.
I left with bulbs and live food and food to syringe feed.
Drake is a bit better today. He has at least opened his eyes.
I have brought up his temp, syringe fed him, and trying to keep his body hydrated.
Now.....
what else can I do?
Does he need antibiotics, steroids, etc.?
I literally only know the small amount I have read in a few hours. Any help is appreciated.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

So glad you rescued the little one; thank you for caring! Neglect is an all-too-common theme on the board, unfortunately, and it's heartbreaking. Check out this link- it was created by one of the senior posters on this board. Hope it helps! Also, if you can post pictures by going to the User Image Uploader at the top of the page and then inserting uploaded images using the XIMG button above the post window, that will give others a chance to weigh in. They can help with the immediate need + lighting & environment questions, diet, etc. Finally, there's a care sheet link along the top of the page for when things aren't so dire. My only thought here is to take it slowly. If things are as bad as they sound, you don't want to accidentally overwhelm their body when they're a severely weakened condition.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=245486

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd ignore the advise by the pet shop , invariably it's going to be poor to very bad , the pet shop and it's staff have a vested interest ( they want to sell you another pet or something , it's not in their interest for you take advise and not buy something ).

So , if it's sick , or in very poor condition ( emaciated / dehydrated / sick ) the very best thing you can do if consult a reptile vet ASAP and determine what it's issues ACTUALLY ARE , the vet will help you come up with a treatment plan and will prescribe any meds it needs and may even provide you with nutritional support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom