Possible brumation and continual diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking to the forum yet again for my Xena Bug...

This is Xena our ~7 month old bearded dragon. I worked in a pet store since we got her and she always had normal poops there until about the 2nd week I had her home. She has had diarrhea practically since we got her on July 6, 2019, but has occasional really good looking stools. We’ve been to a “lizard knowledgable” vet who can’t figure out why her poops are like this (fecals negative) and many many experienced owners don’t know either (Posted to these forums before and no suggestions worked). Recently, she has been going into, what I think, brumation? She hides under her hut and enjoys the cold. She still eats like crazy and is shedding beautifully. If we take her out of the hut, she runs around like nothing happened so it’s a little confusing, but I’m not too familiar with brumation. PLUS she has now been pooping at about a 9 day interval but used to be every 2-3 days.

Diet: We had her on dubia roaches to begin with and switched her to crickets to see if it was that, but she is back on Dubias after that was ruled out. She gets a mix of mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, or whatever she wants but she never seems to eat a lot but we usually leave it out if she wants to pick. All of her food is dusted on rotation of calcium +D3 and a multivitamin. She gets dechlorinated water and has a “pool” to soak in whenever she wants. She gets the occasional meal/super worms but not often.

Cage: She is in a 40 br tank with tile substrate, plenty of wood to climb on and hides. She also has a hammock under her basking spot that reaches around 98-105 degrees F. Her cooler side stays in the upper 80s. She has a strip reptisun T8 UVB bulb in her tank, currently in the slimline holder but without the plastic barrier so the lamp is exposed. She has a ceramic heater on throughout the day and into the night that sits on her cooler side to keep the temps up (our apt is very cold and has drafts).

Her behavior hasn’t changed at all except for the hiding thing. So hopefully someone will have some insight as to what has been going on with her/ has any ideas about ANY of it?

full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wish I had more to offer on this one. Her setup looks good and she looks nice and healthy in the photo. Has she lost any weight? She looks like she's at a healthy weight. Usually when they go into brumation their appetite will decline quite a bit but they maintain weight. Parasites and diet are the main culprits for the diarrhea. It might be worth continuing to try different dietary tweaks to see what happens. My dragon has constant diarrhea too but we haven't been able to find a cause and he is otherwise quite healthy. I just offer him lots of hydrating foods like squash so he replenishes his water stores.

kcimkowski

Original Poster
CooperDragon":l2v1ajaq said:
I wish I had more to offer on this one. Her setup looks good and she looks nice and healthy in the photo. Has she lost any weight? She looks like she's at a healthy weight. Usually when they go into brumation their appetite will decline quite a bit but they maintain weight. Parasites and diet are the main culprits for the diarrhea. It might be worth continuing to try different dietary tweaks to see what happens. My dragon has constant diarrhea too but we haven't been able to find a cause and he is otherwise quite healthy. I just offer him lots of hydrating foods like squash so he replenishes his water stores.

She has actually gained weight, which is why this all so confusing! I usually give her squash but I found that when I give her it, her diarrhea gets much worse. Im just at such a loss right now and just want my baby healthy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom