One eye open; one shut. What’s up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lizzie is a 4 year old who has had some health issues in her past. She’s had coccidia several times and had eggs she couldn’t pass resulting in a removal of the eggs almost 2 years ago. She has gone through brumation once and acts like she’d like to again. However, she hasn’t pooped in over 10 days. I woke her up from a 3 day sleep today to put her in to a warm tub to get her to move her bowels. No dice. While watching her lay under her basking light, I noticed her left eye was closed and the right was open. I took her to her vet Friday a week ago for this. He examined her eyes thoroughly and couldn’t find anything wrong. But, she’s still doing it. I’m wondering if something could be wrong to account for her lethargy, instead of wanting to brumate. Has anyone come across this? If so, what’s up. The only change with her; she got a new UVA/UVB bulb January 1st and an extra UVB bulb on the cool side incase she wanted to use it, which she has. Could this be the problem? I didn’t mention it to the vet as it never occurred to me till now. Please let me know what ya’ll think might be the issue here. Thanks a lot!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please take a pic of the eye eyes- you said you have a uva/UVB is that a all in one? Is she eating? It is not uncommon for them to go long periods of not pooping- if her eating has slowed down so will her poop-- what are her basking temps and how are you taking them? It is that time of year for them to be lazy-- is she maintaining weight? Has she lost weight? It is good to keep them hydrated and keep an eye on her weight-- getting her out every week or so to do just that--
Karrie

Kayleebirdy

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for responding. Yes, the UVA/UVB are all in one. If I can figure out how to send pics, you’ll see her set up with the other UVB on the opposite end. She’s been eating when she’s awake. I’ve been trying not to feed her as she’s been crawling in her hide to sleep. I woke her yesterday to hydrate her and try to get her to poop before I just let her alone to sleep. She’s maintaining her weight well. Her basking temp is 99 taken with a laser temp gun. Since she’s older she doesn’t like it quite as hot as she used to. Again, if I get the pics to you, you can see the one eye open, one closed. What’s curious to me, the closed eye is the one away from the window and her bulb. Since this it the direction she usually lays in I thought nothing of it until I saw her other eye was open.
Sorry! Have no idea how to get the pictures here. Look at your beardie. Picture their left eye closed and right eye open; that’s what Lizzie is doing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
And she's doing this when basking? That is normal mine do the same-- as long as there is no runny eye and they look normal no swelling etc.... I wanted to know about the bulbs coils can cause eye damage--- I am assuming the distance is correct for the all in one-- she's basking eating well and not losing weight-- she sounds fine
Karrie

Kayleebirdy

Original Poster
Thanks, Karrie! This is the first time she’s ever done this! I’ve had her since she was 6 months old and now she decides to “wink” at mommy! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom