Cannot get 6 month old rescue to eat bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohkristinnicole

Hello all,
Last Friday I rescued a approx. 6 month old dragon from a family that got him and all their wonderful knowledge of BD care from a chain pet store. They had him for maybe three months before getting in contact with me to potentially take him. He never had proper UVB, he was never fed any live bugs or even leafy greens or a single vegetable. The only thing he was ever given as food was freeze dried crickets, freeze dried meal worms, and those multicolored bearded dragon pellets. Needless to say, hes not in the best condition, though he is not in horrible condition either. I KNOW a vet visit is warranted and its been scheduled but I live in rural South Carolina, and my exotic vet (is fantastic been using her for a long time) is a couple of counties over and being the only exotic vet in the area, is booked up for a few weeks but we took the earliest available apt. In the meantime, I've started a slurry regimen recommended by my exotic vet to help with hydration, which he takes enthusiastically. He willing drinks water while in the bath as well. His poops look alright considering his condition; formed but maybe a slight bit loose if you know what i mean. But for the life of me, i cannot get him to eat live bugs. Per my vets recommendation, two days ago, I was able to open his mouth and pop a few little dubias in there and he gobbled them up. Yesterday, no such luck as i tried and he kept spitting the roaches back out. I have no worms in house as of now however i have some on the way (hornworms, BSFL, and wax worms.) Perhaps he may take interest in those once they come in but for now, what can i do? He has NO interest in these bugs and I know he needs his protein.

I feel I should also mention that he is quite active and LOVES his basking spot so there's no issues getting him to bask on his own.

I have one bearded dragon of my own that I also got as a rescue but he was already and adult and very good at eating. I got all my information on his care from here, facebook bearded dragon pages, as well as my vet. This is my first rodeo with a juvenile, and I know they need to eat more live than veggies. So what can I do?

As of now, this little guy is in my 20gal long quarantine tank. His basking spot temperature this morning read 106f; cool side of the tank was 85f. I have a Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB light over him. I have all proper supplements as well as liquid calcium, bee pollen powder, and probiotic.
Yall, PLEASE help me get this little man eating, as he is scheduled to go to his forever family in the next month.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep doing what your doing and he may take to the BSFL - have you tried crickets? It sounds like he just doesnt like the roaches - I would get some live crickets and see if he goes for those
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry he isn't doing so well! So he will be rehomed next month?
You could try the crickets also, to see he likes those. Some do, but it does sound like he is
very picky right now!
Bee pollen is helpful with appetite & immune system so maybe you could try some of that.
Is he possibly going to shed?
Is he losing weight that you can tell or not?

Tracie

ohkristinnicole

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2a4fyp5a said:
Keep doing what your doing and he may take to the BSFL - have you tried crickets? It sounds like he just doesnt like the roaches - I would get some live crickets and see if he goes for those
Karrie

I dont keep crickets in house because my beardie wont eat them but i can stop by petco today and get some and give it a try. Thank you!

ohkristinnicole

Original Poster
Drache613":37999b9l said:
Hello,

Sorry he isn't doing so well! So he will be rehomed next month?
You could try the crickets also, to see he likes those. Some do, but it does sound like he is
very picky right now!
Bee pollen is helpful with appetite & immune system so maybe you could try some of that.
Is he possibly going to shed?
Is he losing weight that you can tell or not?

Tracie

Yes, he is to be rehomed. I try to pick up any rescue reptiles and/or those needing to be rehomed in my area and foster them until I fine homes for them with owners that want to do things the right way instead of taking Petco's advice. Petco/Petsmart is the ONLY places within at least a 100 miles of my area to buy reptiles so every one I've taken in and rehomed has come from one of those two places. I consult with the new owners and get them set up with my exotic vet and just try to be there for them to help them learn and offer all the advice and knowledge I have.
I'm going to pick up some crickets today and give it a try. My dude doesn't like crickets so I never have them in house.
I'll try bee pollen later today with bugs. I put some on his salad yesterday and he actually ate a little bit while I was at work.
He could possibly getting close to shed; I'm not seeing the dulling of his color yet but I know young ones shed very often.
He's not losing weight; the opposite actually. He's a skinny little thing, but he has a strong will to live and I'm seeing some improvement.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cudos to you for taking them in --- there are sooooo many of them that have the improper care and they seem to be dying like flies--- there is a forum that has so many inexperienced people on it that these dragons do not have the proper husbandry and its over whelming - I have been trying to help these people that post as much as I can - some of them are too late tho
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom