Sick or brumating??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beans hasn’t been her usual self lately. I replaced her 3ft tank with a 4ft one about a week or so before Christmas, and filled it with her usual decor and layout so it would still be familiar to her. She was laying around a lot and generally being grumpy which I originally put down to changing her tank.

She stayed pretty much the same over Christmas, just laying in one spot all day, always on the cool end, minimal moving, sleeping a lot. Her lights turn off at 9:30pm and she usually gets sleepy about an hour before, but she started settling down for bed really early- eventually, she’d only wake up for an hour or two in the morning and then doze on and off all day, always on the cool side of her tank.

Her appetite has decreased from about 25 ish bugs in one sitting to about 8. Tonight she ate 13 which is better, but she’s still just laying around. She’s active when I put her in the bath and drinks a fair bit, and she’ll explore my bedroom when she comes out, but she doesn’t really seem interested in coming out lately, and when she’s in her tank she doesn’t do anything. She’ll be in the exact same position in the afternoon when I come home as she was in the morning when I left.

Her beard is mostly orange with just some black around the edges. She also finished a course of anti parasite medication about two months ago, because she had eggs in her poop. She has a hide in her tank already but I put another one in there for her just now in case she’s too big for her old one, and she went straight in there away from the lights, so I think maybe she’s brumating? What do I do for her if this is the case, lights and food wise?

She’s in a 4ft viv with a Reptisun UV bulb, I think it’s 12% but I don’t have the original box anymore. The temp on the hot side of her viv is 103, and the cool side is 78. Night time temperatures go down no lower than 73. She eats mostly Morio worms, and then the veg I give her is kale, mange tout (her favourite), broccoli, raspberries, tomatoes (which she doesn’t like), blueberries, and Bell peppers. I’ve attached a photograph of her tonight, just to get your opinions.

It’s also been a week or two since she’s pooped, but the last time she did, she perked up immediately afterwards and was a bit more active in her tank. For about a week or so, I’ve noticed her rubbing her nose along the floor.

105609-1366802138.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is probably gonna shed on the nose -- she looks good - and yes shes probably doing the semi brumation thing --- what is the UVB is it a tube I am assuming ? Not the coil correct? The pooping is normal sometimes they dont go for a long time so dont worry she will poop -- Please no more broccoli or tomatoes - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html --it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what NOT to feed -- I would get her out once a week - get a weight on her w/ a kitchen food scale weigh in grams keep a record or chart - mark down how much she is weighing and when she pooped - you can keep track of it better - hydrate her - by bathing water on nose or misting her -- offer her food at that time you have her out - keep up w/ normal photo period and if you want you can turn her lights off earlier than normal if shes sleeping -- did she bask after she ate today?
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bwffpy7 said:
She is probably gonna shed on the nose -- she looks good - and yes shes probably doing the semi brumation thing --- what is the UVB is it a tube I am assuming ? Not the coil correct? The pooping is normal sometimes they dont go for a long time so dont worry she will poop -- Please no more broccoli or tomatoes - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html --it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what NOT to feed -- I would get her out once a week - get a weight on her w/ a kitchen food scale weigh in grams keep a record or chart - mark down how much she is weighing and when she pooped - you can keep track of it better - hydrate her - by bathing water on nose or misting her -- offer her food at that time you have her out - keep up w/ normal photo period and if you want you can turn her lights off earlier than normal if shes sleeping -- did she bask after she ate today?
Karrie

Thank you for replying.
She hasn’t basked in a few weeks. Her hot side used to be 100 degrees but I turned it up a bit in the hopes it would warm the cold side up a bit because I was concerned about her not getting enough heat after eating. She was fine with those temps in her old tank and used to bask regularly so it’s not that she’s too warm. She did occasionally wander over there about two ish weeks ago but she hasn’t done it for ages now.
Her UV is indeed a tube, overlaps the heat bulb on the hot side and then runs the length of the tank.

I don’t know if this is related but when I was chatting to her in her tank today, she semi lifted her arm and I thought she was waving, although it wasn’t a full wave, just a lift of her front leg. She did it twice, and then when she put her foot down it looked like her toes on that foot were trembling/vibrating, just a little bit. It stopped pretty quickly. I messed with the foot and it didn’t bother her, but because she’s barely been eating I’m concerned she’s not getting enough calcium. I dust her bugs and veg with calcium powder and a multivitamin a few times a week. There’s decor in her tank for her to climb on to get closer to the UV bulb, but she hasn’t been climbing on it because she’s been so inactive so I don’t know how to make sure she’s getting enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dont worry about the calcium - when they brumate they dont get the UVB - just keep an eye on her and her weight - keep her hydrated - some others on here might have some better insight on her behavior and not basking - it seems my oldest one did the same thing last year eat and didnt bask - he was fine - so he was sleeping on a full stomach -
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1626lqj9 said:
Dont worry about the calcium - when they brumate they dont get the UVB - just keep an eye on her and her weight - keep her hydrated - some others on here might have some better insight on her behavior and not basking - it seems my oldest one did the same thing last year eat and didnt bask - he was fine - so he was sleeping on a full stomach -
Karrie

Should I keep offering her food and giving her water and just let her sleep, then? Do I also keep the lights on for her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes I would do your normal routine - you can shut them off earlier at nite if you like and shes sleeping- if you need to take her out after about a week or so then do so - weigh her offer her water and food and see if she eats --- and drinks - you dont want her losing a ton of weight -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom