Set up update/looking for feedback: Lump at base of tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
My juvenile bearded dragon has a lump on its underside at the base of its tail. I have an image but don’t know how to attach it. It’s not as active or eating as much as usual. My vet is closed until tomorrow; I don’t know if it can wait or not! Help! We’re new to beardies and I don’t know what to do!

Bchristopher

Original Poster
Thanks! I did just try to post it but not seeing it. The more I read, the more I think it might be an abscess. I’m still not sure though. I feel so bad because I can tell he’s in pain. Bringing him in the morning to the vet...just hope it’s not too late ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad. If you can, do try to get a picture posted, just so we can try to direct you a
little better.
How long has the lump been there?
Do you think a cricket possibly bit him & it got infected? For now, if you have some raw,
unpasteurized honey, you can put some on that area, to help with any infection that might
be starting.
Is his beard dark?
Let us know how his vet visit goes!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your little one has a mass of fecal matter that he's trying to but unable to pass. What exact size are the insects he's been eating, does he drink any water and what are the temps. in his tank? If the insects are larger than the space between his eyes they can cause inpaction, also if the temps. are too low for digestion. Post pics of the size o insects you have next to a coin and post pics of his set up. You can put him in a cool sugar water bath for 10 minutes with a heat lamp over top [ about 1/4 cup sugar ] to try to reduce the swelling or smear some honey on it. He'll need liquids + natural laxatives, try baby food squash, sweet potato prunes all with a few drops of olive oil. A vet may give him enulose [ lactulose ] Hope he can pass that mass ASAP, best wishes !

Bchristopher

Original Poster
107064-6946343831.jpg

So I can try to treat this at home? It looks this morning like he passed some of it; not as swollen. I made the rookie mistake of buying the starter package from a pet store; going today to get the bulbs suggested here. The last batch of crickets were too big, I’m sure of it...it was not our normal place bc our regular one was out of the small size.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The set up looks great as long as you get the proper bulb , the long tube uvb Reptisun, preferably the t5.

Good to hear he's passing some of the poo, if he is having success then you might not need a vet at all. Just keep offering the natural laxatives I mentioned and now you see that he can't handle larger crickets. Sounds like he should be fine.

Bchristopher

Original Poster
Thank you! I’m so grateful for this forum! I gave him a cool soak in the sugar water as you suggested. He ate much better this morning and is more like himself! Going to get the baby food in a bit. I am concerned with how much water he is getting though. Any suggestions on how to get more into him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can try syringe feeding water - little at a time go slow so he does not aspirate --- also I noticed you have a red colored bulb --- please get rid of it - they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- and a coil UVB I am guessing in that dome --- please get rid of that as well --- they are death coils I call them --- you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either a T 5 or a T 8 - I would recommend a 24" fixture w/ a reflector - do not get a fixture the same length as the tank - he needs to be able to get out of the rays if he wants to -- also the stick ons on the back wall is that the only way your getting temps ? If so please invest in both of these -- a digital probe thermometer from Petco or Petsmart $5 -- and a Infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store $10-12 - does not have to be expensive and beleive me you will use both of them -- you need an accurate way to get those temps and stick ons are inaccurate -- his basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie / adult
Karrie

Bchristopher

Original Poster
I did plan on getting rid of the red light and adding the correct uv light. I will also replace that bulb. I can not thank you guys enough!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please let us know what UVB bulb you get so we can help you set it up -- t T5's and T8's have different distances for placement--- and make sure you get the thermometers as well -- those are a must
Karrie

Bchristopher

Original Poster
107064-9197387960.jpg
Hi! I’ve made some changes and am hoping I’m getting closer to getting this right.

In this set up I now have a 100 watt CHE that I use at night. In the double fixture I have a 150 watt exo-terra daytime heat lamp & a zoo med 100 watt basking bulb. Additionally I have a Zilla slimline desert fixture with an 18 inch T8 50 UVB bulb. Digital thermometers read 110 on lighted side and 76 on the non-lighted side.

How much of the baby prunes/squash or sweet potatoes do I give him in a day while I’m trying to get him to pass the stool? This is what his bum looks like today.
107064-6596200736.jpg

107064-6823958303.jpg
In this set up I have a 100 watt CHE that I have on trying to warm the terrarium so I can move one of our two beardies in. I also have a 150 watt exo terra daytime heat lamp & a Zilla slimline desert fixture with an 18 inch T8 50 UVB bulb.
The digital thermometer on the lighted side reads 92 and the one on the cooler side reads 83.

We’ve gotten smaller crickets and are dusting them with Rep-Cal calcium with vitamin d3 which we will do once per day 5 times per week. How much of this do we use to coat the crickets? herptivite with beta carotene multivitamin 2 times per week. How much of this do we use to coat the crickets?

Suggestions?

Again, thank you so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The cloaca look less swollen so that's good, no more large insects and don't feed her TOO much until you see that she's pooping normally + regularly. Your zilla slimline should be checked to make sure there is no plastic cover over the bulb, if so remove it right away, it blocks all the uvb. Attach it under the screen easily using thin wire [ like picture hanging or fishing line. ] Here's how I did mine, notice how the wire loops through the screen to hold the fixture :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom