My 2 year old female hasn't pooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My female hasnt pooped in about a week. Kale, carrots, and turnip greens are her staple with the occasional Dubia. I am soaking her about every other day to help and try to get her to poop. Vet doesn't seem to concerned. Just looking for other peoples thoughts.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They can take a long time to go poop not uncommon--- I need to ask what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun digital probe thermometer or stick ons? Also what are you using for a UVB -- brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? All this plays a huge role in the pooping dept
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Definitely not concerning.
If your husbandry is up to par, there is nothing to worry about.

Adults can go quite awhile without pooing, especially if they haven't been eating as much, or are slowing down because of brumation.

Besides the lack of poo, how is your girl acting?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is quite normal for adults!
Has she been slown down for brumation lately, or not?
I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you feel she could be impacted from something.
Are you using a solid substrate or a loose one for her?

Tracie

BlackBeard90

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xhbxhbh said:
They can take a long time to go poop not uncommon--- I need to ask what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun digital probe thermometer or stick ons? Also what are you using for a UVB -- brand and bulb and where in the tank is it? All this plays a huge role in the pooping dept
Karrie

Basking temp in her tank is 100 on the hot side. I have the stick on in the tank and a heat gun that I use 3 or 4 times a week to double-check. But it always shows the temp the same as the stick on does.
The UVB is the zoomed brand bulb over the center of the tank, suspended about 8 inches above the lid.

BlackBeard90

Original Poster
claudiusx":26cjmc3x said:
Hi there,

Definitely not concerning.
If your husbandry is up to par, there is nothing to worry about.

Adults can go quite awhile without pooing, especially if they haven't been eating as much, or are slowing down because of brumation.

Besides the lack of poo, how is your girl acting?

-Brandon
She is too active to be brumating. And she still eats the same amount she always has.

BlackBeard90

Original Poster
Drache613":32pred4n said:
Hello,

This is quite normal for adults!
Has she been slown down for brumation lately, or not?
I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you feel she could be impacted from something.
Are you using a solid substrate or a loose one for her?

Tracie

Not really slowing down. I have had her for a few weeks now. Her last owners never really handled her so I am working with her on that. She does have crushed walnuts in her enclosure. I am going to change it to tile soon. But with all the things that have changed on her in the last couple weeks, I don't want to change the stuff in her enclosure just yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend you change the walnuts out ASAP-- those are toxic to her-- I also recommend getting a digital probe thermometer- PetSmart or Petco has them $5
Karrie

BlackBeard90

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2t8den5p said:
I recommend you change the walnuts out ASAP-- those are toxic to her-- I also recommend getting a digital probe thermometer- PetSmart or Petco has them $5
Karrie
I am going to change out her enclosure to tile. Crushed walnut isnt my preferred substrate either, but I dont want to add more unneeded stress to her just yet. Like I said. A lot has changed for her in the last few weeks. She changed owners. Went from a quite part of a house, to being in a main room with people constantly walking by her. And toddlers playing and being loud right next to her.
She has been on crushed walnut her whole life. I dont think another week while she settles in is going to make all the difference. I watch her closely. It doesn't get into her food dish and she doesn't eat it off the bottom of her enclosure.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Has she poo'd for you?
I didn't know she was on walnut. Even 1 or two granules of it getting in the GIT can really cause some harm/stress.
It's great that you will be removing it.
Personally, I would do it now, I don't think it would stress her too much. But, you know your dragon better than any of us :)

Let us know how things turn out :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom