Fractured jaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjustin

Hello I was wondering if any one knew of a alternative options other than surgery for a 2 year old bearded dragon. I accidentally dropped her on Saturday and took her into the ER yesterday and found out that the bone in her jaw is indeed fractured. I would get the surgery for her but I sadly do not have the money to do so. They gave me some pain meds and anti antibiotics to giver her via syringe. I just saw her eat the squash yesterday and also saw her eat one of the dubia roaches but im afraid to giver her anymore roaches. If any one has any other way than surgery for the fractured jaw I would really appreciate the help! Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how bad is it ? As long as it's not a compound fracture [ bone sticking out ] she should heal on her own to a degree. If she's eating that's a great sign. Just feed her fresh shed dubias for now, not too many at once. They are soft + won't aggravate the injury by too much chewing. It's O.K to limit food while she heals, you can even get something called Oxbow Critical Care from the vet, a nutritious food supplement to feed via syringe.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl. :( The bone is not protruding is it? I can see it looks misaligned though. It's up to you to do what you can , shop around for another price but realize that surgery comes with risks as well.

ibjustin

Original Poster
no its not sticking out of the skin but its not connected. I want to do whats best for her but where I live not a lot of vets will deal with dragons and the one place that I found is going to charge a minimum of 1,350$ and that's just something I cant afford sadly. So I am torn on what I should do.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unless the jaw is reset surgically , she'll not be able to chew ( or be willing to ( or feed normally )).

It's a no brainer imo . I'd be talking to your vet surgeon about setting up time payments or maybe your bank about a personal loan .

Your dragon will need soft foods until this injury is fixed surgically and for a while afterwards while it's healing. Are you prepared to do this for the rest of it her life if you don't have it reset ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear, that is very unfortunate to hear. :cry:
It is possible that it will heal up but probably wont heal up properly or completely aligned.
You could check into Care Credit possibly, a lot of people apply for it. You can pay it back
in payments but you would have to check with your vet or a nearby vet to see if they accept
that or applications for it.

As suggested, try the critical care powder & limit insects so he doesn't have to chew much
while he is healing.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is she doing, is she still eating ? Most dragons with a slight fracture continue to eat so that's a good sign and some do heal on their own. Of the ones that I read about [ Googled B.D. with broken jaw ] 3 healed on their own, one had an extensive surgery + feeding tube placed in it's stomach through it's neck and it needed 2 surgeries. Who knows if that one would have also healed without surgery as well.

ibjustin

Original Poster
I havent seen her eat since sunday. I put her vegies into her bowel and chopped them up really small but havent seen her eat any nor has any of it gone down.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
From reading your original post, did he eat on the first day it happened ? And how well is he taking his meds. Those can cause appetite loss.

ibjustin

Original Poster
she did eat the day after but hasnt since. she is fighting me on taking the pain meds and the antibiotics. She keeps jerking her head away or she will slap my hand

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, she's upset now and that's why she's not eaten since the meds. started. Poor thing. Can you post a new pic of her face, from a couple different angles ?

ibjustin

Original Poster
i would but it wont let me add more pictures, so i just got her to eat some of the smaller dubia roaches i have so thats good

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is she dpoing now ? It's good to hear that she's eating some roaches, just try for soft fresh shed ones .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom