Yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve read all the posts about poor Yoshi and I’m in a similar situation, I fear my beardie has yellow fungus, I’ve done all the things listed, Betadine, hebiclens, antifungal cream, baby food but it’s carrot/parsnip/apple I’m adding acidophilus sachets a pinch to it, and I have soy yoghurt. I don’t have anything form a vet yet as I’ve been both vets who don’t have a reptile person anymore because she has become manager and won’t help me?, I asked if I can just have the meds and self monitor but no not interested, but still looking for another vet whilst I do everything on here to keep it in check. The first day I saw it was Wednesday a few spots and blisters on the tail so I salt bathed her and that improved her greatly, her appetite has been off recently which I thought was brumation but now I suspect illness. I recently changed ground substrate which I suspect may be the cause, the only change, I clean all poop out immediately so she’s never dirty. Apart from stressing about her not having an antibiotic or antifungal from a vet, am I doing ok ????. I can’t sleep or settle in case she’s in any discomfort ?. Her set up is proper 75w ceramic heat lamp and Reptiglo 10% uv, basking 98 deg, all things have now been removed and paper towel to stop any further contamination, I am syringe feeding as she has always been a lazy eater and likes to be hand fed( which is prob my fault because she was neglected prior). Any help advice or opinions would be very gratefully received thank you ?. Clare (weird snake lady is what the old vet calls me

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
106987-8396950881.jpg
106987-8144993460.jpg
106987-127897552.jpg
hope this has put the photos on successfully, it started with white fungal blister, which was crystallised weeping, I bathed her in salt water because that all I had New Year’s Day, first day I saw the blister, it came up quick. Since then it has really improved and looks like this now, I don’t have a photo when it was bad I just acted quick as I don’t want her in discomfort. The white you see on these photos is fungal cream. She is off her food at the moment but I’m feeding baby food via syringe

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
106987-3785776859.jpg
this one is New Year’s Day with the white spots which were blisters nothing added at this stage so this is the colour of them not cream, there is salt water in the sink. I now have the betadine to soak her in.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had her and can you post 1-2 pics to show her tank set up ? And how do you measure the temps. ? I do see the areas of concern, you say they started just in a few days to look like this ? You're doing a good job with the products you are using but I would really limit the baths and just apply the betadine to the areas a couple times a day [ diluted ] and see if you can get some silver sulfadiazine cream. Bathing may spread it even though you have meds. + salt in the water.

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
106987-7561598709.jpg
106987-401785961.jpg
106987-7707065455.jpg
i have removed all the items from the set up and just put sterile paper in and a box that can be thrown away to eliminate spread, the temp shown is below the normal 97 degrees because she has turned pale and got into the water and looks over hot so I turned the lamp off ten minutes ago to swap back to the 60w one because the 75w looks too hot ?, the temp thermometer is digital. Hope this helps thank you so much for the support AHBD I really need help ?I’m just so worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome, I hope I [ or someone ] can help your good girl. :) I'm wondering if the higher watt CHE that you had before possibly burned her, although it doesn't look like a normal burn but then we don't see many burns to compare. Can you put the 75 watt CHE in another fixture and hold your hand under it the same distance that your beardie would have been from it to see how hot it gets ? And there is a possibility that it's Y.F. but only a vet doing a skin scrape could verify but for now just keep up the treatment. It's best to remove the water bowl as well.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree, it kind of looks like a burn possibly to me. I would get rid of the CHE all together and switch to a basking bulb that produces light and heat instead. CHE's really are suitable as nighttime heat, or supplemental heat sources, but the main source of heat should be a white light.

And if it is fungal, you will want to remove the water bowel, and stop with the baths as the water can spread it to other parts of the body.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Now that I re-read the first part of your thread I don't think it's Y.F. If there were whitish bumps that were blisters it's more likely from a burn. They may be healing now [ hopefully ] so are flat + grey. Silver cream would be good on those areas or neosporin, but not the kind with pain relief in it. What is her name by the way ?

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
I’ve had her 5 yrs and I believe she was about 18 months old before I got her, she came with no proper heating or no uv at all, the tank was terrible and went straight in the bin, botched diy mess with a fire red bulb and nails everywhere ?

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
The blisters were there before the bulb change i did that to increase temp to nurse her back to health ?I’m quite certain it’s not a burn. Can I get the cream from a chemist, she has the canesten clotrimazole cream on at the moment, that’s wat they suggested, they’ve been extremely helpful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you're in the U.S. you can get silver sulfadiazene or Neosporin at any pharmacy over the counter. I would imagine that the ant fungal cream you have would be fine though . BTW, did the blackish spot on her back start out as blisters as well ?

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
The blisters were on the tail only but there is a strange black patch in the shoulder region which has a funny texture, she had a few poops whilst sat on her branch which she never does, she kinda gets to the floor scratches at the door then poops normally, but the last 2 were blurted out whilst basking on the branch, again this is irregular to her behaviour. Shes very yellow I think tonight not her usual colour and is kinda wretching a bit like trying to be sick, has she been too hot now ?

Weirdsnakelady

Original Poster
I’m slowly giving up hope she seems worse tonight so I have her wrapped in fleece and am comforting her, I don’t expect her to make it through the night, she’s asleep in my dressing gown collar like she did wen I first had her, hoping for a miracle but know it won’t happen, thanks for all the help I tried ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom