Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby V3rifi3d » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:19 pm

20 Gallon
Juvinile (7 inches)
100 degree basking spot; 80 cool side
Purchased from petsmart

Hello all,

I hope you are well. I come asking for advice on my beardie. I posted yesterday asking what I could for my beardie, I messed up in some major ways. My SO got my beardie from petsmart two weeks ago for a Christmas gift, the starter kit did not come with a UVB source of any kind, and I did not know it needed one until I began studying on beardies once I was given my gift. I ordered UVB supplies right away, and just today have got to set up my UVB source (Reptisun 10.0 18 inch). I think my little dude is really appreciating it. But I'm worried he has ADV, and the symptoms only keep getting worse.

Since my post yesterday, his symptoms of stargazing, uncontrollable falling, seizures ( it looks like ), loss of appetite, and stress marks have gotten even worse. His stargazes are 90 degrees, straight up. His stress marks are very dark! The little one also is shaking it's head back and fourth even more, which to my understanding is lack of calcium.

I know he/she is in a lot of pain, and it pains me seeing them. I learned how to properly force feed, and got 4 small dusted crickets down, I was so proud of the little one. I know I'm all he has. He's begun to view me as his provider I feel like, and it makes me feel even worse because I'm comng so attached so quick.

Like I stated in my previous post, I messed up feeding him large crickets, which he ate about 5 of over three days. But considering his other symptoms and the fact he had bowel movements for all of the large crickets, I do not think the crickets are causing the symptoms. I believe it is ADV because he came from petsmart. What do you guys think?

I've researched the disease, and I realize he/she will only get worse over time. Would euthanasia be an option I should look at? I dont want to see them get any worse. Seeing a specialist is $300 dollars before any test in my area, I'm a high school senior who works part time and I don't have that much to spend right now.

Thank you for any insight you guys may be able to provide. I'd really like to hear if someone else was in a similar situation with a young juvenile having ADV. I hate seeing them wither with pain, sometimes its like he just gets paralyzed and cant move for something like 10 seconds.
Newbie Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:20 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby Gormagon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

I think petsmart has a 2 week return policy for dragons and, other pets. You should call them and, check but do it ASAP.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Extreme Poster
Posts: 3235
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Tracie Drache613 needs to respond to this --she is on at nite --- if you take the dragon back most likely all they will do is let him die and not try to keep him alive --- sad to say but its not unusual for them to do this --- the people at petsmart will not have a clue as how to take care of him anyway --- if he is in pain I would consider putting him down :(
BD.org Addict
Posts: 5727
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby claudiusx » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi there,

I saw your other thread too. Unfortunately your dragon is passed the point of saving most likely. It's not your fault. It's just a sad reality that occurs sometimes with petstore dragons.

It does sound like ADV. ADV is manegabe in some dragons, but it seems to affect all dragons differently. When it progresses to the symptoms you are seeing and in such a young dragon, they are fatal 99 times out of 100.

What you do from this point is up to you. You could perhaps call a vet and see if they would euthanize it. Some petsmarts have vets that they use to either do that, or decide if the dragon is worth saving. Usually, it's not worth it to them.
The problem is that since this dragon has ADV, all of the other dragons there will too. I would give up on trying to get another dragon from them, and perhaps go with a reputable breeder. You will need to clean and sanitize your tank and everything that could have come in contact with the dragon or the tank to prevent any new dragon you get from getting ADV too.

I'm really sorry you and your SO are having to go through this, but please don't let it put you off of having a dragon. I saw in your other thread that you have wanted one for a long time.

Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Posts: 17470
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

It's suffering and will only get worse with time.
I'd get a vet to test for ADV and if it's ADV positive euthanize the little dragon then take the corpse back to the pet shop and demand a full refund.
Don't tell them you had it euthanized unless you want try to claim the costs of that back from them through the civil courts. ( Good luck with that , though you might have success if you threaten to do so , it's not worth their time to contest these matters and they wont want the negative publicity).

They should never have sold you an ADV positive reptile , so it's entirely their fault if it is ADV positive ( I'd bet there are several ADV positive reptiles who are in very advanced stages dying slowly without much of any care or food in the back ( out of sight of the customers) area of the shop. Just not worth their bother to care for them if they'll never be able to sell them).

DO NOT let them con you into taking another reptile from their stock or even go to another shop in the same chain , if one has ADV in that shop, then they all will have it and they will all be taking sick reptiles from the same lizard farmer ( as opposed to a reputable breeder)..
ADV is highly communicable amongst reptiles.

You need to strip down the tank and very thoroughly & sterilize everything that dragon has had physical contact with or even breathed on with F10sc ( maybe 1:125 concentration ) to be sure it's virus free before you place another reptile in the tank after the little sick one is gone.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
BD.org Sicko
Posts: 11342
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Opinions on Juvenile Euthina

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:45 pm

BD.org Addict
Posts: 5727
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users