-Temps: Bask side 100 degrees, cool side 80 degree
-Humidity: Lower during day, has been reaching 60-70% at night

ISSUES
-Is walking in Circles
-Violently shakes head back and fourth
-Won't eat greens
-Eats only two crickets a day

Hello all,

For Christmas, my SO got me a beardie. I have wanted one since I was young and just now, I'm at a place in my life where it is feasible to have one. I love my little guy/or girl, don't know yet, but the little beardie is having some troubles. Because the gift was unexpected, I was not fully prepared. She purchased the beardie from petsmart and got the 20 gallon starter kit. The kit came with a stupid red night light, but not a UVB bulb any kind! So the little guy or gal has been give or take two weeks without a UVB source because she had them a week before I got them (the beardie), (I now have his cage placed at my window but there is glass blocking the sunlight and it is too cold to have him outside). I've ordered some better supplies for my beardie: Reptisun UVB 10.0, a light fixture for the UVB, better substrate, bulk medium crickets, and a second thermometer. So far only the bulb and substrate has come in. I purchased Flukers Liquid Vitamin and Repticalcium, and have been dusting all his crickets the last three days. But I'm very worried because he has started to act abnormally...

Since yesterday he has been shaking his head violently back and fourth often. Since last night, he has moved primarily in circles to the left. He will fall backwards from lying down. I made the mistake of buying large crickets after the first batch of small ones died, and he has only ate ~2 a day of the large crickets, and only ate about 4 of the smaller ones when I had them. I will have smaller crickets this evening from pet smart. He has moderately dark stress marks.

My UVB Light fixture arrives on the fourth. I recently gave the beardie a bath and he moved normal for a bit, but is back to moving in circles.

I read many forums and believe the head shaking is from a lack of calcium, I can't get him to eat his mustard greens, and he only eats two of the crickets a day right now. What do I need to do? Please help.

Thank you so much for any help, I want to father this little guy or girl well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This does not sound good -- it may be you have bought a sick dragon to begin w/ ---- walking in circles and falling over could be a sign of ADV--- but I am no expert --- one of the others on here will haft to respond to your questions and cause of the behavior--- you have NO UVB at all ---- ? Colored lights are harmful please do not use it ------------ can you take a picture of the tank and lighting please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pics
Karrie

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
Yes, no UVB source. My GF was unaware that she needed it, and I began my serious research as soon as I found out about getting him. I have no colored lights!

I have uploaded the photo, I'm not sure how to place it on this post though.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Click on link download pics then click on reply click on top of message box XIMG then click on pic- it should post page will refresh you should be able to see your post
Karrie

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
Just tried dangling a small cricket in front of the beardie cause I was able to get my hands on some from petsmart... and he wasn't interested at all.

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
He just fell backwards off his basking spot...

I'm getting more and more worried... His posture looks good, hes attentive, but the symptoms are getting worse I feel.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He won't eat food that is too big for him--- are you somewhere it's warm - you can take him outside in a tote he can't get out of no glass direct sunlight for 15 minutes that will = out to about 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
No sadly, I am not somewhere it is warm. I'm in North Carolina, freezing temperatures in the morning, does get above 65. But I could plug the basking light up outside and hold it over him while in a tub? Keep him warmer.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm so sorry to read this . He probably has 1 of these problems : low calcium, ADV or MOST likely ate too large a cricket and it's pressing on his sine causing neurological problems and he's also trying to throw it up. Be sure to offer hydration but watch that it doesn't shock him in to a spasm. Has he poo'd lately ? He may get over this once he digests or throws up the cricket if it's what I think it is. He def. needs uvb ASAP too, low calcium can also cause neuro problems. Hopefully it's not adenovirus. Once he's eating again feed him only 1/4 - no more than 1/2 " crickets.

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
Hi, thank you for your help.

He has poo'd today, he has not ate another large cricket since then.

He is moving normally some, but still going in circles and has fallen some more.

Researching adenovirus, it seem the little one has half of the main symptoms. He did come from petsmart too. Could he just now be showing symptoms?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes it is possible but the other 2 things I mentioned can all be factors. Hopefully he pulls through !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
BTW, yes you can put him outside in a dark colored plastic tub if the sun is out + it's 60 -65 F outside. The dark color absorbs heat so the tub stays warm. If you only have a clear see through tub you can use the heat lamp outside over the tub. If it gets over 70 you don't need a heat bulb .

V3rifi3d

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the tips. I do have a black tub I can put him in tomorrow morning.

I will do my best with the little one. Thank you all for the help. Anymore insight is appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., good. Try that to see if the uvb helps. Put a small low basking branch in for him or a small rolled up towel. Remember to watch that if it gets over 70 the dark tub will heat up pretty good so feel with your hand on the bottom to be sure it doesn't get too hot. Can you Google your forecast for the next 5 days ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom