F10sc nebulization for Respritory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfxfire

I'm new here this is my first post. I'm calling around tomorrow to try to find a reptile vet in my area. I've been doing alot of research about bearded dragon Respritory infections and I've seen a few videos of people using f10sc in a fogger has anyone heard of doing this?? or had any experience with it? When I first got the bearded dragon it's tank temps were low like below 80 during the day and colder at night it had a 60 watt che in a 40 gallon so I got a 150 watt
it had been raining and the humidity was 60\70 % in the tank so I put a dehumidifier in to bring it down to around 30%
But I've noticed some odd things heavy breathing especially after eating too fast and after drinking a bunch in a bath ( I think he was dehydrated) I heard a crackling noise when it exhaled heavily but it's not constant im giving reptaid as well but any advice or experiences are helpful and like I said I will call around tomorrow to find a vet

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

There have been multiple counts of people starting to use the F10 sc for nebulization.
Do you already have a nebulizer then?
It is possible that your dragon inhaled water during his bath, as a lot of tend to do!
I would continue with the Reptaid & monitor his breathing, while keeping the nighttime
temperatures in his tank to around 80.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures with? I'm glad
to hear you are using a dehumidifer to help keep the humidity under control right now
if he may be developing a respiratory infection.
Has his appetite been normal?
Let us know if you find a vet, too & how he is doing.

Tracie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Hi thank so much for replying
I was going to buy a fogger to use with the f10 sc I ordered but the f10 wasn't going to arrive for another 7 days and my little guys breathing seemed to worsen so I decided to go to a reptile vet for $80. They listened to his lungs and prescribed a cefazolin injection daily for 14 days $76
they showed me how to have someone hold him down and inject in the front leg...well I just did my first injection tonight and it was traumitizing!!
After the shot when he was let go he alligator rolled a bunch bit me for the first time ever and jumped off the couch! even after going back in his home he alligator rolled and did circles for a bit my husband and I both cried it was so sad and my husband never cries ever! he's back to normal now and taking his anger out on the dubia roaches in the corner of his cage but it was terrifying!! we both thought we did something wrong and really hurt him! I just watched him for an hour to make sure he was really ok! My back started cramping!! But he's done munching and is sleeping now...so I guess I'm Attached to him or something lol he's my first reptile ever It wasn't planned I never even thought of owning a reptile I didn't think I would get this attached this quick!

he didn't even bleed this time when the vet injected him he bled but didn't freak out as much.. I didn't go as deep as she did because he's small (not sure 3+ months? ) and I was scared to hit bone. It was a terrible experience! I think I'll have to bring the shots back to the vet for her to do them..or find a different treatment

The vet had never heard of using f10sc and couldn't tell me if it would be safe or not she did say that adding moisture to the lungs wouldn't be ideal..she even said before going to vet school she studied nebulization and that the particles of whatever medicine I nebulized wouldnt be small enough to be effective or something.. but it kinda sounds like rubbish when I went it a few years back and had a Respritory infection they mediately gave me a nebulizer..

When i got him I went and got the thrive 40gallon kit to get him out of the 10 gallon he came in and it came with the thermometers that stick to the wall which I know aren't accurate but I have a few other thermometers I put in his basking spot and compare to each other to make sure it's staying where it needs to be. He spends most of his time in his basking hammock under the CHE he even sleeps there. occasionally I will find him hiding in the cave on the warm side but I never find him relaxing on the cool side

I'm planning to get the infrared gun is that adequate? Or do I need the digital probe also?

His appetite has never been bad he prefers to be hand fed or have me direct the live insects towards him for easy pickings lol so I would say his appetite is lazy but he will eat a bunch if I let him

Is it possible to over feed them when they are little? will he stop when he's full?

The vet told me the uv bulb that came with the kit isn't adequate it's the 26watt thrive uvb so today I bought a zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb reptile lamp 18" and a Zoo Med ReptiSun T8 Terrarium Hood (20 inch) I'm thinking I might have to return them and get the longer ones since the terrarium is 36" wide...

Is it better to have the Uvb under the screen? Or is on top okay?

Hes in a window which I know filter all or most uvb but he seems really happy with the natural light and the view :)

Wow that was long sorry!! I really appreciate any tips or advice I've been doing alot of research and I want what's best for the little guy but like I said I didn't plan to ever get a reptile and have no experience lol but he sure is growing on me

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor thing, it sounds like he did not like that at all! He alligator rolled? Was he black
bearding also? The Ceftz stings a bit when injected which may be one thing that affected him.
How many roaches did he have? They normally will stop eating when they have had enough
but usually 5-10 minutes of letting them eat is plenty.
It is very easy to get attached to them so being concerned like that is normal. It is very hard to
watch when they exhibit behavior like that.
The F10sc should have small enough particles to be used for nebulization. It really isn't adding
moisture to the lungs but rather penetrating the lungs more effectively with a medication.
Definitely keep him around 80 in his tank overnight to help out if he has a respiratory infection
right now.
The temp gun should be plenty to use for measuring the temperatures. So you don't have to
get a digital probe unless you just want to.
That is correct, the compact/coil UVB was not enough so upgrading to a tube bulb was a good
idea. He should be fine with a tube stretching 2/3rd's of the length of the tank, roughly. If you
are using the T8 Reptisun 10, I would recommend mounting it directly overhead, underneath of
the screen. The distance should be 6-8 inches from him, also. If he likes the view from the
window, letting natural light in along with his UVB is perfectly fine. It can be good to let them
have natural stimulation like that. :D
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Thank you for the info!! Sorry I haven't replied
The shots have gotten a bit easier but man that first shot was terrible! he totally alligator rolled and ran in circles with his mouth open while limping and when I tried to corral him so he wouldn't run away and get lost he bit me!

I watched a video on utube that showed a different way to hold them and do the shot and I'm letting the medicine come to room temp before injecting it. I feel terrible that I didn't even think about doing that and the vet didn't mention it! that had to be a shock for him straight from the fridge poor guy.
he's handling it better I keep ahold of him untill he calms down so he doesn't flail afterwards.
he has had a black beard after every shot so far and has hissed and lunged a few times after I put him down
It really sad we had a really good bond before all of this I could hand feed him and pick him up without him even careing...I don't know how much of that was because he didn't feel good..but now he won't eat if in too close and he puffs up and hisses and is jumpy around me! I didn't realize they were so smart he has totally cought on to the routine and knows when it's coming
I just hope when it's all over he will forget and trust me again

I loose count of the roaches he eats definitely double digits I try to feed veggies first untill hes not interested and then let him have as many dubias as he wants I usually have mediums but since he's sick I have smalls I was told they are easier to digest because of the softer shell.. he also gets crickets and mealworms.

The pet store didn't have an inside the tank mount so I'm using the hood temporarily i've been reading people use an under the cabinet mount from Walmart is there one you would suggest?
I'm going to look Into getting that especially because the hood wasn't cheep!
I upped his temp and got the dehumidifier when this all began and it helped for a bit untill his breathing got worse and I took him to the vet.

I have noticed since I got the new uvb he is hiding more and basking less? the temperatures haven't changed since I got it so I hope that means he is just getting his fill of the uv quicker or something.. his breathing is improving I've given 5 shots so far and there's 8 left :(

I still have the f10sc coming in the mail.. is it safe for them? From what I understand it's not an antibiotic but it is antibacterial? If that works for respritory infections I don't understand why the vet would have me doing injections! nebulizeing seems so much less stressfull
Thanks again for the support this has been crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom