Concerned about behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I got a baby bearded dragon from a pet store a few weeks ago and I’ve been researching every movement she makes. I couldn’t find anything on this topic though. She’s been moving slower on her lounge thing and when she’s basking, she’ll close one eye slowly and then open it back up. She also is tapping her foot after moving around. Her poop is also concerning. It has bit of a pink tone to it at the end (not in her urate though) and it just looks off. I’ve been feeding her mealworms and carrots. Sometimes kale. I’ve been sprinkling calcium powder on her worms every Sunday. I try to handle her as much as possible but she usually runs away so I let her be. Still very concerned!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Meal worms for a baby are too harsh on the stomach-- she needs crickets dubia roaches or BSFL as a staple feeder--- greens every day mustard collard or turnip or kale along w/ some squash green beans ---- here is a nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
she needs her bugs dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week --- now for the most important thing of all -- the lighting in that tank --- please post a pic of tank and lighting - the pink tinge is probably the carrots shes eating --- but you need to have that lighting correct for the overall health of that dragon ---- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then the pic---- we can help more by seeing what you have
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to the top of page in banner click on user image uploader- download pics- click on XIMG on top of message box click on pic they should post-
Karrie

Katherinegrace5227

Original Poster
106895-5809493922.jpg
106895-9480822677.jpg
106895-7952746735.jpg
106895-733891936.jpg
106895-3868366326.jpg
I use a 75 watt basking light from Zoomed (same for the UVB) I also use a 50 watt light for night. I rearranged her cage a bit after the post and she seems to be doing better. I think I had her lounge too close to her light. Would it be ok if I fed her calciworms or super worms instead?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Calci worms are the same as bsfl-- I will post a website for them tomorrow-- I am on my phone at the moment--- now you need to ditch the nite bulb colored bulbs are a no-- no-- they disrupt sleep can cause long term eye damage--- next the coil UVB is bad- you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE T 5 or T 8--- a fixture w/ a reflector - your little one is adorable and you want the lighting to keep him / her healthy-- dragons sleep in the dark and they like it cool temps should be 105-110 for basking cool side of tank 80's during the day and not below 65 at night- how are you taking basking temps? No stickons- you need a digital probe thermometer for accurate temps
Karrie

Katherinegrace5227

Original Poster
She’s been sleeping fine with the night light. Everything was fine until I got the lounge. I moved it down so she wasn’t right on the basking light. She stopped closing her eyes after I moved her lounge. I’ll get some calciworms for her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The coil UVB is bad - so is the night light--- eventually you will see her stop eating become lethargic and start to develop mbd-- all because of the coil and at night she will become restless w/ the night light--- please replace the UVB and get rid of the night bulb---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking light needs to be able to get temps to 105-110- right now it's a 75 watt and your getting this 86 temp how? If it's a stick on that is ambient temp and not actual basking temp- you need to get a digital probe from Petco or PetSmart for $5---that will give you an actual basking temp--- if you want to stay w/ a coil bulb - I don't recommend it but you can get this one-- I have not heard anything bad about this bulb yet only the Reptisun 13 watt is terrible- get this one Reptisun 10.0 26 watt-- you need a dome w/ reflector and it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking spot-- its supposed to be equivalent to the T 8 Tube--
Karrie

Katherinegrace5227

Original Poster
Ok thank you! Also, while petting her, I noticed her stomach got bigger (like a pancake in a way) and she opened her mouth. Is that a sign of her being scared/stressed or is that a sign that she’s now getting to know me better?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The compact/coil UVB lights are really pretty hard on their eyes & aren't conducive to
calcium absorption since their UVB output is poor. I would highly recommend getting
a Reptisun 10 tube or an Arcadia D3 12% or 14% tube either one, for a better quality &
stronger UVB.
What type of basking light do you have, a halogen bulb? Are you using a digital probe for
a thermometer to measure the temperatures with?
If you move from overhead, she may become a bit scared. If she flattens out on your hand,
& opens her mouth like she is gaping/panting then she is just warming up on your hand.
She isn't trying to bite, correct?

Tracie

Katherinegrace5227

Original Poster
I try my best not to hawk over her since she could get scared and think I’m a predator. She doesn’t ever bite. She’ll look at me with her mouth open and her back pancaked for maybe 5 minutes while I pet her before feeling restless. I use a 75 watt Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp. I also put my kitchen thermometer in her cage just to check if it was too cold. Turns out, it was completely fine in there. She was basking correctly and was acting fine. I use these cheap stick on thermometers that an employee recommended. I’m looking to get a digital one soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please do get a digital probe from Pet Smart or Petco they are cheap - what you got from the kitchen thermom is ambient temps- you want that digital probe to get a accurate temp-- most of us
on the forum is going to recommend the TUBE UVB ---- here is the info I said I would give on the coil ---
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance. Make sure it is not the MINI COMPACT UVB --- and you need a dome w/ a reflector --- if you have any more questions please ask ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom