He can’t eat :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbyz2002

I gave my bearded dragon some squash today. He ate a piece and did this weird thing with his tongue, almost like he was biting it but he wasn’t. It stresses him out really bad to the point where’re his whole beard turns dark black...

Here is a link to a video of him :( please watch and help me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YnP56SlEE

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The piece of squash is way too big for him, really.
Is he ok right now? I really recommend mincing up the squash or any other fruit or
vegetable so he doesn't choke.
The black beard is simply from stress most likely.

Tracie

Abbyz2002

Original Poster
Abbyz2002":2fqsd6n1 said:
I gave my bearded dragon some squash today. He ate a piece and did this weird thing with his tongue, almost like he was biting it but he wasn’t. It stresses him out really bad to the point where’re his whole beard turns dark black...

Here is a link to a video of him :( please watch and help me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YnP56SlEE
Drache613":2fqsd6n1 said:
Hello,

The piece of squash is way too big for him, really.
Is he ok right now? I really recommend mincing up the squash or any other fruit or
vegetable so he doesn't choke.
The black beard is simply from stress most likely.

Tracie

No I did cut up the squash for him into very tiny pieces, he was not chocking. I also gave him baby food and water and he did the exact same thing with those

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long has this been going on for?
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
& heating?
Perhaps his jaw is weak due to poor calcium absorption, possibly.
When they have a calcium or other nutritional deficiency, it can affect their tongue & their
ability to properly chew or strike at prey, etc.

Tracie

Abbyz2002

Original Poster
Drache613":13i3xim7 said:
Hello,

How long has this been going on for?
Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
& heating?
Perhaps his jaw is weak due to poor calcium absorption, possibly.
When they have a calcium or other nutritional deficiency, it can affect their tongue & their
ability to properly chew or strike at prey, etc.

Tracie

Ohhhh ususally I dust his food with calcium, maybe I need to put more. Oak how to give the calcium if he won’t eat though

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you are dusting regularly, giving more calcium probably isn't the answer. That calcium being absorbed properly is the answer which is why Tracie asked which uvb bulb you use. Can you give us some details on that?
All the calcium in the world wont help much if it's not getting absorbed properly.

How are his activity levels?

-Brandon

Abbyz2002

Original Poster
claudiusx":jupx5lsp said:
If you are dusting regularly, giving more calcium probably isn't the answer. That calcium being absorbed properly is the answer which is why Tracie asked which uvb bulb you use. Can you give us some details on that?
All the calcium in the world wont help much if it's not getting absorbed properly.

How are his activity levels?

-Brandon

So right now he is using a aqua culture ceramic heat emitter. My mom ordered him a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube. Which is gonna arrive toda... well his activity levels are low. He sleeps all day. Probably because brumation. He hides in his cave.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

So just to clarify to make sure I'm not confused, he only has a ceramic heat emitter but no lights at all? You use the CHE for a basking bulb?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom