My bearded dragon has ascended today ),:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizelle

Today my bearded dragon has ascended into the heavens, as you can see by my signature rn, I’ve only had him for a month and two weeks, and he was quite young. The way he died a couple hours after I gave him a kiss on the snoot and left him out, which was careless of me, but it happens often and wasn’t the reason for his untimely fate, so a couple hours later I came back to tell him bye to leave, but I found him on my rug, with twisted legs ): and tongue sticking out, with the inside of his mouth with 5+ undigested mealworms... chocked out, no way to breath... suffocation... :( I tried saving him, by taking out as many as my Apple Pencil could get, being careful with his fore mouth, but it was no hope, he could’ve died hours before, not to say there isn’t a 1% chance I’ll come back home on Sunday and he’ll have woken up. But it would take a miracle for him to recover, as he wasn’t breathing and probably never will again, so I put him on his fav rock, and left, in tears... :banghead: it felt like all my fault, as if I would’ve fed him crickets, and put at least calcium powder on his food, he might’ve not regurgitated his meal... so that was the thing that just happened that I shall never forget, even though my parent says they’ll give me another one, it just doesn’t feel right, and even though when we got him he was already slightly deformed due to MDB in his tail, with a hook at the end, (see my other post for more details on THAT) I still feel just replacing him will not be the right thing to do, but I think it’s gonna be that way, cause I’m not just gonna have a empty cage that’ll just bring sadness every time I see it... and I know it’s not right to feel guilty, as there wasn’t much I could’ve done, but I’m still tainted from it ):
So if anyone has anything to say or just wants to pay tribute about their fallen soldier, just leave a comment. :(

Update: I’ve Buried Him on 12/22,19

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is terrible - :( How many meal worms did you feed him? I hate to say this but young bearded dragons should not have meal worms the exo skeleton on them is too hard for them to digest --- I am so sorry and the way you found him was horrible --- again I am so sorry --- poor little guy
Karrie

Gizelle

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2y8pm5ml said:
That is terrible - :( How many meal worms did you feed him? I hate to say this but young bearded dragons should not have meal worms the exo skeleton on them is too hard for them to digest --- I am so sorry and the way you found him was horrible --- again I am so sorry --- poor little guy
Karrie

I was out of crickets and planning to get some later- but he was hungry, and for some reason when I woke up this morning he was opening his mouth like he was chocking, about 10 hours before his death
I gave him a lil dump of bout 12 mealworms, I but really I just let him just eat what he wanted, and I used to have calcium powder but my dog got into it, so I gave em calcless... and he was opening his mouth at me, something he NEVER DID... anything else? :( Is there by any chance he might be alive? I’ve seen people resurrect seemingly dead Beardie before using cpr, or is it too late?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How horrible. He most likely is gone based on how you found him and how long it's been.

How long was he fine after the mealworms? It sounds like what happened perhaps was he threw them up and choked on them on the way back up. It's kind of unlikely and a freak accident if that's the case. There might have been another issue at play that we may never figure out.

I've raised babies on mealworms for near 20 years now. They are harder to digest than other options but that doesnt necessarily make them "hard" to digest. My 2 month old can easily eat 20+ mealworms in one sitting and digest them all just fine (evidence in the daily poos with no undigested parts) so dont beat yourself up over feeding mealworms. They are unjustly demonized IMO.

This is just an unfortunate freak accident imo. And I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Brandon

Gizelle

Original Poster
claudiusx":1mmkcyh3 said:
How horrible. He most likely is gone based on how you found him and how long it's been.

How long was he fine after the mealworms? It sounds like what happened perhaps was he threw them up and choked on them on the way back up. It's kind of unlikely and a freak accident if that's the case. There might have been another issue at play that we may never figure out.

I've raised babies on mealworms for near 20 years now. They are harder to digest than other options but that doesnt necessarily make them "hard" to digest. My 2 month old can easily eat 20+ mealworms in one sitting and digest them all just fine (evidence in the daily poos with no undigested parts) so dont beat yourself up over feeding mealworms. They are unjustly demonized IMO.

This is just an unfortunate freak accident imo. And I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Brandon

Thanks, I really wanna hope he’s still living, but there’s no hope, and I couldn’t even reach far back into his mouth to get all of the mealworms out anyways he wasn’t even breathing- but we all learn from our mistakes, and I don’t think I’m gonna buy from petco anymore about recently hearing about reptiles by Mack

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry about your dragon! How horrible for you to have to find him like that.
I agree, it sounds like just a horrible incident but I don't think it's your fault.
Sorry for your loss. :cry:

Tracie

Gizelle

Original Poster
Drache613":3jpgqpoj said:
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry about your dragon! How horrible for you to have to find him like that.
I agree, it sounds like just a horrible incident but I don't think it's your fault.
Sorry for your loss. :cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom