Bearded Dragon Body and Beard Darker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone,

My beardie was snuggling on my pant leg earlier. When I picked him up to put him in his tank for the night I saw this beard was darker (not pitch black, but dark) and he had dark markings down his belly. IS this something he did to absorb more heat or was he hurt?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he didn't fall or you didn't smash him or step on him, he shouldn't be injured. Did his beard
turn black after you got him into his tank again?

Tracie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":14sc11b8 said:
Hello,

If he didn't fall or you didn't smash him or step on him, he shouldn't be injured. Did his beard

Tracie

No, it went back to normal. I read somewhere that they do that to soak up more warmth. Is that what he did?

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":38fsdlgn said:
Hello,

Tracie

Also, he was stsrting to brumate a couple weeks ago, which we stopped because he had a parasote we needed to treat. Is this related? Hes eating salad and superworms but doesnt have much energy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Usually when they turn dark its them absorbing heat - you will notice it when they sit in the sun or under their heat lamps in the morning ---- super worms are not a good staple feeder --- you need crickets BSFL or dubia roaches for a staple feeder --- how old is your dragon? The no energy can be caused by lighting issues -- please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb and what are his basking temps---- and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe??? That and the UVB is the most important thing in that tank ------------ if you can please post pics of your tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and click on pic
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dcznq2x said:
Usually when they turn dark its them absorbing heat - you will notice it when they sit in the sun or under their heat lamps in the morning ---- super worms are not a good staple feeder --- you need crickets BSFL or dubia roaches for a staple feeder --- how old is your dragon? The no energy can be caused by lighting issues -- please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb and what are his basking temps---- and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe??? That and the UVB is the most important thing in that tank ------------ if you can please post pics of your tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and click on pic
Karrie

I am not at home,so I cant do pics but I know UVB is reptisun 10.0 and he has 100 degrees on hot side 75 on cool using stick on thermometers.

He stopped eating crickets a couple weeks ago, the worms are just so hes eating, it scares me when he doesnt. They are gutloaded. That was my vets advice.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lmrg7qu said:
Karrie

Actually, here's an image from a few weeks ago of the tank. The uvb light has since moved closer to the basking spot.
105535-4818109241.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Stick thermometers are really inaccurate --- please get a digital probe from Petco or Petsmart for $5 - I would recommend a infrared heat gun as well from your local home improvement store - they are around $10-12 -- you will use both --- his eating my guess is the temp is off and they will not eat w/ improper temps--- ok so the UVB is a T 8 it looks like -- it needs to be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot w/ bulb exposed -- no cover over it ---- the screen is filtering out 30% of those rays --- thus lack of eating and energy---- I would recommend more decor in the tank ---- Petsmart has some really nice decor for dragons ---
here are some ideas for you
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290747
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5103128
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5084227
the all living things knarled wood makes a great place for them to sit to give different heat gradients ---
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1voncjnv said:
Stick thermometers are really inaccurate --- please get a digital probe from Petco or Petsmart for $5 - I would recommend a infrared heat gun as well from your local home improvement store - they are around $10-12 -- you will use both --- his eating my guess is the temp is off and they will not eat w/ improper temps--- ok so the UVB is a T 8 it looks like -- it needs to be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot w/ bulb exposed -- no cover over it ---- the screen is filtering out 30% of those rays --- thus lack of eating and energy---- I would recommend more decor in the tank ---- Petsmart has some really nice decor for dragons ---
here are some ideas for you
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290747
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5103128
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5084227
the all living things knarled wood makes a great place for them to sit to give different heat gradients ---
Karrie

Ok, will get digital probe and ordered new UV fixture. He has dubias now and is chasing them, so he seems ok.
He has no signs of MBD and vet said his light is ok but got new one to be safe, will he be ok? Not to say "is the damage reversible" but will he be alright?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Why did you order a new fixture? The fixture is fine unless it has no reflector or did you just get a bulb? Damage? Are you talking about the parasites? Basking temps and UVB play a huge role in keeping parasites away they all have a small amount it's when temps etc are off that they get out of control--
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3v361k45 said:
Why did you order a new fixture? The fixture is fine unless it has no reflector or did you just get a bulb? Damage? Are you talking about the parasites? Basking temps and UVB play a huge role in keeping parasites away they all have a small amount it's when temps etc are off that they get out of control--
Karrie

I actually received advice that a different, High Output fixture could address the issue. This conflicted with advice from my vet that the light was fine, and I chose to hold off. Given how things have been the last couple weeks, it seemed best to get him the high output light.

My question on damage is not the parasites, we are giving him medicine already. My question is if the lower uvb has caused permanent damage. Again, vet says he has no mbd signs and his health was a-ok until the last week or so.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did they do x-rays? Is he walking ok ? Mbd will effect their climbing etc if its really bad-- you would notice- high out put so your changing over to a T 5? That is a stronger bulb--- it's going to require a distance of 12-15 inches from basking spot inside tank--- if it's on top of screen the screen will filter out 30% of those rays so it would need to be 8-10 I believe- someone else may correct me
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":nsplwxgu said:
Did they do x-rays? Is he walking ok ? Mbd will effect their climbing etc if its really bad-- you would notice- high out put so your changing over to a T 5? That is a stronger bulb--- it's going to require a distance of 12-15 inches from basking spot inside tank--- if it's on top of screen the screen will filter out 30% of those rays so it would need to be 8-10 I believe- someone else may correct me
Karrie

No xrays but he walks and climbs just fine.
Thank you for the advice.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1u3j1243 said:
Karrie

Ive seen videos saying they can get tremors, but he only shakes his leg when I spray it, like he's trying to shake it dry. Do beardies do that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Could be-- no head shaking - usually that's calcium defiency-- just watch his behavior and his poops- that will tell you alot-- poops should be formed moist and dark - urate- formed moist and white- not chalky and dry
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom