Beardie broken toe

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardie broken toe

Postby jowat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am

Hello everyone,

Has someone have experience with broken toes?
My Lizzie broke her toe a week ago. She doesnt seem bothered about at all, still running around, digging, but unfortunately it's not looking good.
I went to the vets and they estimated £400 for the surgery to remove the toe. I still did not book the surgery, because it just seems a lot of money. :( I thought I will seek a second opinion.
Have any of you experienced something familiar. Any advice would be great.
Thank you.
Jo

[Click image to enlarge]
jowat
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie broken toe

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:00 pm

That looks like a pretty bad break. I think the big concern is that it would become infected which could pose a serious risk. It may or may not cause her discomfort or mobility issues but if it gets infected it will become a very serious situation and will need quick care.
CooperDragon

Re: Beardie broken toe

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:58 pm

I think a visit to the nearest reptile vet is in order to have the toe seen to ( outcome depends on type of break , compound, clean or perhaps even a dislocation ).
Get a second opinion. If it's infected and not a compound fracture, should be very easy for a vet to reset it ( under a very quick general ).
Did they take and provide you with xrays ?

The hand / forearm seems quite swollen in that picture - that's a bad sign ==> infection is setting in.

Better safe than sorry later, I'd deal with it while it's fresh rather than waiting even a few days as it will be relatively easy for a vet deal with fresh , but is likely to become a major drama and expensive treatment if it comes infected or causes a systemic infection . You a likely to be looking at a lot more if / when gangrene sets in or a systemic infection and a full limb amputation becomes necessary or a long cause of antibiotics are needed.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER