Beardie hasn't pooped in over 2 weeks! (maybe 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So I have a 3 year old male in good shape (size, weight, etc). Every year during this time he slows down due to winter, and im pretty sure he wants to go brumate again (he sleept for a few weeks in november, his brumation consists of sleeping for a few weeks, then awake for another few, rinse and repeat. But he has never given me this much problem pooping before. It's been almost 3 weeks since his last poop, and I need him to go in case he does want to brumate. Haven't fed him consistent bugs this last few weeks, mainly feeding him squash (two kinds), collard greens and the occasional fruit (he is not a big fruit guy), but he just doesn't poop. I'v fed him the very occassional super worm (1 or 2) every other day though. But nothing. Been giving him daily baths as well.

He used to always poop outside, as I used to take him outside every day, but since it's gotten cold, I haven't had a chance to bring him outside. I did a couple of days ago when it wasn't too cold and the sun was out (southern california), but still nothing.

So this last few days I'v been feeding him prune baby food with a drop or two of olive oil. Dripped on his mouth until he starts licking, then I feed him until he stops licking. But even this hasn't helped him go poop.

Any ideas? I doubt he is constipated, and even if he was, wouldn't the squash and baby foo w/olive oil help? I haven't been feeding him live food for a while now, with the occasional one or two super worms every 3-4 days. And even before winter, when I was feeding him more live food (supers, silks, crickets, etc), he never got constipated even when he ate a lot.

Any ideas?

I plan on taking him to the vet if he still doesn't poop for another week more or less.

Here is my setup just in case its needed information:

- 40 gallon tank
- Reptisun T5-Ho w/ Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho UVB bulb
- Temps measured with infrared temp gun, basking spot 92-98F (he doesnt like anything above that, he wont bask for long, 95F is his sweet spot).

93594-5399689204.jpg
93594-8607158321.jpg
93594-345059969.jpg
This one was taken a few months back before winter. He was a bit chubbier. He has lost a little weight since, but nothing to be concerned about, just normal winter weight drop.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's really normal behavior with a brumation/winter slow down. He will eventually go. If he has already been sleeping part of the time and eating less, that's a normal reaction, less food + activity = less poo. :) Just be patient and he will deliver the prize when he's ready, no need for a vet. Be very wary , some inexperienced vets are giving enemas with terrible consequences at brumation times. BTW, daily baths are overkill, just a couple warm ones a week are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom