Bearded dragon suddenly can’t move front legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My female 6 year old bearded dragon, Kipster, has been perfectly fine but all of a sudden she hasn’t been able to move her front legs. They aren’t paralyzed as they twitch a bit when she tries so move them. Today, she now refuses to eat. She gets fed greens including kale and Swiss charred with carrots and raspberries with calcium on top. She also gets fed superworms dusted with calcium and D3. I gave her a warm bath and she pooped just fine and has been. She has a 75 watt basking and 100 watt UV bulb about 8 inches above her basking spot. The cage has a basking side at around 95 and a cooler side at around 75. She has a repti carpet substrate and two hides that she can go on top of. One on the basking side and one on the cool side in a 40 gallon tank. She was perfectly fine before and I don’t know what to do.

Some more info:
-she has a 10.0 UVB bulb
-there is a large water dish for her that she goes in
-there are some fake plants

I would like to get your inputs before I take her to the vet. Please let me know if you guys have any idea what could be wrong!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What is the 100 watt UVB? Is it a tube?
Please post pics of the tank and lighting --
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
The 10.0 UVB is a tube and the the 100 W UV is a regular bulb. I am new to this forum and don’t know how to post a photo :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on your pics they should post --- the UVB is a T 5 or a T8 ? distance is they key here so that is why I am asking and you said 8" from basking spot? If its the T 5 its too close they should be 12-15 inches the T 8 is good ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok the tank looks nice -- the carpet ? you could replace if you want just a suggestion w/ textured non adhesive shelf liner - you can get it from your local home improvement store its cheap easy to clean and the insects cant get underneath --- the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays and that is probably why shes having difficulty w/ moving them --- you can use this to hang it inside the tank
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
here is a pic of how someone hung theirs
97951-2515040147.jpg
I would hang it so she can get directly under it
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
I’ll be sure to do that. Will the bulb melt the zipties?

Could there also be another factor other than the UVB? I’ve had this setup since I first got her and she’s never been like this. I got her as a baby.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it shouldnt - the bulb does not get real hot --- and its taken this long for the MBD to set in - shes been getting UVB just not adequately --- I would make it so she can get up under the UVB w/ some sort of handicapp decor -- is she not moving at all how is she getting around --- how have her poops been - they should be formed moist and dark w/ white urate the same
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
Her poops have been normal as you said. She was walking around perfectly fine but today she is just dragging herself.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How old is the bulb? It should be replaced every 6 months
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good watch her and see how she does- hopefully she will start using her legs again-- what are her basking temps? And how are you taking them? Digital probes are good for an accurate temp or infrared heat guns-- you want them 95-105-- the lighting in the tank is crucial to their overall health
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
Her basking is around 95. I have two thermometers on the basking side that are different brands to compare. I have another on the cool side as well. I don’t have any digital probes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so dial thermometers are terribly inaccurate -- you need to get a digital probe from Petsmart or Petco for $5 -- and you can get a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $10-12 ---- I would invest in both -- that 95 degrees your getting is inaccurate --- that is ambient temp I am guessing --- so get those temps w/ one of them or both and see where your at --- if she has a log that she can sit on w/ different places for her to sit would be good - they call it a gradient heat --- I would invest in one of these for her to sit on
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/all-living-things-gnarled-wood-reptile-ornament-14947.html?cgid=500116
they are good for different places to sit-- my two dragons have them and they love them --- place it under her basking light --- and the decor for her UVB needs to be able for her to climb on as well --- she needs that UVB for sure --
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
Just an update after a vet visit,

They took a blood test which all came back normal so she’s very healthy. But they suspect a neurological infection and are sending the blood to another research facility for further testing. She’s being put on antibiotics every 3 days for 15 days in the meantime as it could be in her brain or spinal cord. They suspect it’s encephalitis or meningitis. I’m extremely worried for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom