MBD- friends beardie has MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my friends beardie has mbd (pretty severe). I have my own beardie so I’m trying to help them the best I can, but they’re parents aren’t willing to put in much. He is getting a new basking light/ uvb light, and they are starting to supplement with calcium again. I’m trying to push them to get calcium rich greens like kale/ spinach. Is they’re much else we can do to stop the mbd? I was also wondering about oral calcium supplements. They won’t buy any, but is there anything else we can use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB that was bought was a what? Brand and bulb-- were they using a coil? --- now that the dragon has MBD and if its pretty severe they are gonna haft to make sure he is not having to climb to get to the UVB and basking area --- once it has started and not intervened there is no cure -- you can only help by making him more comfortable and get him the UVB he needs to properly absorb the calcium --- I am sorry but if people are to have a beardie they need to be able to and want to give the animal proper care --- they are only making the animal suffer w/ insufficient care --- it they dont want to spend the money then they need to find someone else who does or take the dragon to a rescue center near you --- the dragon needs to be offered a variety of salads here is a nutrition website
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- Please no more spinach --- kale is good but he needs other staple greens like mustard collard and turnip greens ---
Are they feeding insects ? How old is the dragon?
Karrie

Lucyrodney

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cyhoxdc said:
The UVB that was bought was a what? Brand and bulb-- were they using a coil? --- now that the dragon has MBD and if its pretty severe they are gonna haft to make sure he is not having to climb to get to the UVB and basking area --- once it has started and not intervened there is no cure -- you can only help by making him more comfortable and get him the UVB he needs to properly absorb the calcium --- I am sorry but if people are to have a beardie they need to be able to and want to give the animal proper care --- they are only making the animal suffer w/ insufficient care --- it they dont want to spend the money then they need to find someone else who does or take the dragon to a rescue center near you --- the dragon needs to be offered a variety of salads here is a nutrition website
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- Please no more spinach --- kale is good but he needs other staple greens like mustard collard and turnip greens ---
Are they feeding insects ? How old is the dragon?
Karrie

We bought a bulb (not sure what brand. Trust me when I say they were not going to invest in a tube light/casing I know that would’ve been best) he had no uvb before so I figured that a bulb would be better then nothing. I have offered to take the dragon multiple times and their family wants to have someone else take it but my it’s my friends brothers dragon and he’s a stubborn brat and won’t let them. I also live in a different state. They are feeding mealworms (I’ve tried to make them get crickets but they’ve had problems with them in the past and won’t get them. Dubias are also illegal where they live because they are invasive) he is about 4 I’m guessing. He is rather thin aswell. I’m aware the parents are not willing to put in the money/time and the kid is not willing to put in the effort. The best thing for him would be to rehome him but until the dumb brat gets it through his head he’s killing him that won’t happen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well there isn't much else anyone can do -- the dragon will suffer until he passes- he needs a better diet as well -- so it is their ignorance and their selfishness that the animal will suffer- at this point I can say no more
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is posts/threads like this that break me. I normally don't have too many nice things to say
about these types of situations because the person is heartless.
The only thing that can be done is for you to possibly talk to them & try to arrange some type
of adoption if possible. It's obvious that they don't really want or care for the dragon so maybe
you could try to convince them that it would be best for him to be rehomed.
It is an awful situation, any way that you look at it. Let us know if we can be of more help.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom