Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon

Postby AHBD » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 am

Just a warning about this because there are at times very bad reactions afterwards including beardie dying within a day to a week . Some vets give an enema when a dragon is going in to brumation and not pooing during this time, not recognizing that beardies rarely poo during their " sleepy " phase. An enema is very harsh on beardies and it can really unbalance their system and even possibly perforate the intestine end up with a sick or dead beardie. If your vet ever suggests an enema, be sure that the dragon actually needs it and is truly impacted with foreign materials [ like sand, walnut, wood chips, etc. ] before agreeing to it. Always ask for alternative methods first [ lactulose/enulose ] or better yet try natural laxatives like baby foods [ prunes, squash , sweet potato, mixed with olive oil ] and increase hydration as much as possible.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:03 am

I second that.

I have a friend who lost her impacted but utherwize healthy and active and very friendly bearded dragon because the vet decided to
> give an enema
> flood the upper intestinal track with water under pressure
and this dragons was sent home immediately despite being
> very cold
> very lethargic
> very dark
> full on black beard
> gaping and having trouble breathing
and was dead within a couple of hours.

The vet involved wasn't some hack general practice vet , but one of the most highly recommended REPTILE vets in NSW who claimed to have trained in zoos.

If the vet suggests a enema , demand to see images proving it's necessary , no images , seek a second opinion .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:30 am

Due to the fact that a few members here have lost their dragons from vets giving them enemas just in the past couple months, this thread will be stickied for awhile to raise awareness.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Koru25 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:09 am

Hi thanks for this post.

Would it be worth including this part
AHBD wrote: beardies rarely poo during their "sleepy " phase.
in the Brumation Care sheets section in the links above, to reassure other keepers that are just learning?

I have certainly been worrying about it a lot since my beardie has been waking up sporadically and eating some locusts and hasn't pooed in 2 weeks. I have been worrying about him getting impaction or the locust fermenting in his gut. Is this not something to worry about then? Thanks in advance.
Koru25
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER