Is my beardie dying?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Beardie in August his name is Keith. Recently he’s been not eating and his eyes are closed. I’ve kept my lights on in the day off at night. I’ve tried feeding him greens but he just won’t eat them. I’m not sure if he’s sick or not and I wanted to know if he needs to go to the vet or not. I’m really worried any help is much appreciated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that your dragon isn't doing well right now. Do you have any pictures of him,
along with his tank setup that you could post for us?
Can you review your tank setup with us also, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures, etc so we can be sure everything is correct.
Have you considered testing him for Adeno virus?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes , I think you need to look up a local reptile vet and take your dragon to them as a matter of urgency , I wouldn't be delaying this .

Sure review the details of your tank, lights, and how you've been caring for him. The vet will need to know everything regards husbandry, dragon's health history, diet and feeding schedule so make sure you are prepared to be quizzed in detail.

Klance2425

Original Poster
Drache613":2665sn35 said:
Hello,

I am sorry that your dragon isn't doing well right now. Do you have any pictures of him,
along with his tank setup that you could post for us?
Can you review your tank setup with us also, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures, etc so we can be sure everything is correct.
Have you considered testing him for Adeno virus?

Tracie
I’m not sure the brand of the UV bulbs but I have a blue tinted 100w for day time. His temps are 105 in basking area and 87 in cool area. I fead him crickets and meal worms but he won’t eat greens. I’ve done research and tried a lot but he won’t eat them. And no I have not I will try though. Thank you for your help

Klance2425

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":6aijzoyq said:
Yes , I think you need to look up a local reptile vet and take your dragon to them as a matter of urgency , I wouldn't be delaying this .

Sure review the details of your tank, lights, and how you've been caring for him. The vet will need to know everything regards husbandry, dragon's health history, diet and feeding schedule so make sure you are prepared to be quizzed in detail.
Thank you I’ll take him as soon as possible. I was considering either him being sick or brumation because the temps are dropping where I live right now but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the tank and lighting --- AND GET RID OF THE BLUE BULB--- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- you need a bright white basking bulb for basking temps around 95-105 -- and a good UVB -- NO COIL---- a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either a T 8 or a T 5---- I am thinking this is the cause of not eating --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then pic and then it should post
Karrie

Klance2425

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3c93ae1w said:
Please post pics of the tank and lighting --- AND GET RID OF THE BLUE BULB--- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- you need a bright white basking bulb for basking temps around 95-105 -- and a good UVB -- NO COIL---- a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE either a T 8 or a T 5---- I am thinking this is the cause of not eating --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then pic and then it should post
Karrie
I’ll be sure to change the bulb. Thank you

Klance2425

Original Poster
105828-9141318020.jpg
He’s been sleeping like this a lot even during the day. I looked up symptoms of Adenovirus he is only experiencing two of the symptoms but I will send in a test as soon as possible

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont see any of your lighting --- please tell me what you have for UVB and basking temps-- how are you taking them infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? He looks very thin are you keeping him hydrated ? and how are you keeping him hydrated?
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he needs to be taken to the vet immediately.
As far as the lighting, it appears you aren't using any type of UVB lighting. What sized
tank do you have? We recommend at the minimum, a Reptisun 10 T8 tube, or an Arcadia
D3 12% tube. Or he would probably benefit even more from the Reptisun T5 tube or the
Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube. The T5 tubes are higher UVB output which it looks like
he needs.
How are you measuring his temperatures? For now, if he is not eating, you can intervene
& get some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food to
feed to him. Go slowly because he is very ill & dehydrated.
Have you tried dropping water on the end of his nose to see if he will lick any of that off?

Tracie

Klance2425

Original Poster
KarrieRee":24jo7no0 said:
I dont see any of your lighting --- please tell me what you have for UVB and basking temps-- how are you taking them infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? He looks very thin are you keeping him hydrated ? and how are you keeping him hydrated?
Karrie
IM using stick ons but I’m working on getting a digital probe. I leave a water bowl that I change out every day but he usually doesn’t drink it so I mist him And take him baths once a week. I believe it’s eco-terra 100w basking bulb

Klance2425

Original Poster
Drache613":32fv33ts said:
Hello,

I agree, he needs to be taken to the vet immediately.
As far as the lighting, it appears you aren't using any type of UVB lighting. What sized
tank do you have? We recommend at the minimum, a Reptisun 10 T8 tube, or an Arcadia
D3 12% tube. Or he would probably benefit even more from the Reptisun T5 tube or the
Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube. The T5 tubes are higher UVB output which it looks like
he needs.
How are you measuring his temperatures? For now, if he is not eating, you can intervene
& get some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food to
feed to him. Go slowly because he is very ill & dehydrated.
Have you tried dropping water on the end of his nose to see if he will lick any of that off?

Tracie
I will be getting new lighting today and yes when I put water on his nose he will lick it so I will try the baby food

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to do this ASAP-- the lighting in the tank is the most crucial thing for a dragons health --- UVB needs to be a Reptusin 10.0 TUBE no coil---- either a T 8 or a T 5 and distance plays a factor to where it is placed so let us know what you get
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom