HELP 3 week old baby dragon sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanyp2

One dragon out of a healthy clutch of 12 is very lethargic and keeps its eyes shut very often. It's also, I guess you would call the runt of the litter as it's significantly smaller then the others. Its eyes look very black, and one doesn't close all the way or properly. Anyone know know what it is?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Separate it into another tub, and handfeed it. This will give it's best chance of coming good and thriving.

It's essentially being dominated by it's more active and very hungry / greedy siblings and not getting any or very much food, no access to the best basking spot and likely not being allowed to sleep in peace.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes please separate it from the others --- put him in a plastic tote if you haft to w/ his own lights so he can survive --- and feed as kok said
Karrie

seanyp2

Original Poster
I have him separated since birth. Its not a dominance thing. It's a birth defect or something. He was born like half the size of the rest. And has never eaten. It's 24 days old today and still alive. I have been feeding it calcium water with a syringe. I'm worried it my be underdeveloped or something. Has anyone had a bearded dragon born this way pull through?
Edit* I should add the closed eyes I was talking about has turned into a slight swelling in one eye. The swollen one doesn't open and the other does. But not often as it is very lethargic. It will react and move quickly say, if you touch it with water. But doesn't move much most the time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to be feeding him I would PM Tracie Drache613 and ask her about feeding him
do this ASAP shes usually on at nite
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, it is definitely a birth defect. However, we have had numerous people here who have
had dragons pull through but it will take some work.
Can you please post a few pictures of him/her just so we can see what we are dealing with, it
does help. Thanks.
Also, instead of just water & calcium, let's try getting some substance into him. Have you tried
hand feeding him any tiny phoenix worms, etc or not yet? If that is not going to work, you can
get some organic chicken baby food & some organic squash or sweet potato baby food to try
& get into him. Also, a small pinch of bee pollen too, for help with his immune system. Are you
keeping his tank around 80 or so overnight to help out his immune system also?
Please review your tank setup with us too, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures,
supplementation, etc.

Tracie

seanyp2

Original Poster
Drache613":13kqjfzg said:
Hello,

Poor guy, it is definitely a birth defect. However, we have had numerous people here who have
Can you please post a few pictures of him/her just so we can see what we are dealing with, it
does help. Thanks.
Also, instead of just water & calcium, let's try getting some substance into him. Have you tried
hand feeding him any tiny phoenix worms, etc or not yet? If that is not going to work, you can
get some organic chicken baby food & some organic squash or sweet potato baby food to try
& get into him. Also, a small pinch of bee pollen too, for help with his immune system. Are you
Please review your tank setup with us too, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures,
supplementation, etc.

Tracie

I have tried hand feeding tiny super worms and blended salads with berries but it won't go for it. I sit every day holding it trying to get it to eat or drink anything. I'm not sure if you can open it mouth/force feed it? If I touch It's face it whips It's head in disapproval. It's in a 30g 110f on side 80f other side. 45 percent humidity. 30" ubv light bar. 125w sun bulb 60w night bulb. Tile substrate. Only store bought items (exo Terra caves and such) I'm not sure how to upload a photo...

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello,

I don't have much to say here since I haven't had to work with dragons this young very much. However it sounds to me like you should try an actual liquid diet. There are two I would recommend.

I personally like Fluker's Repta+Boost for temporary situations where the animal will eventually move on to a normal diet, but for more permanent liquid diets. It's meant to be a temporary "boost" sort of meal, meant to stimulate diet. It's readily available at most pet stores I've been to, that or a umber of similar products. Some are even pre-mixed and come like tubes of toothpaste. For this kind of product, I'd only try feeding it for 2-5 feedings before swapping to real food. If it doesn't take, move on to my next suggestion.

For more permanent situations, the Oxbow Care mixes is the way to go. There's three types - Critical Care, which is for herbivores and comes in a find and regular grind, and Carnivore care. For an animal this young, you want Carnivore Care. If he's on it for an extended period of time, say 3+ months, you're going to want to start to a mix of Carnivore Care and Find Grind. For an adult Bearded Dragon Obow states you want 1 part carnivore care with 3 parts critical care, so I would aim to use that mix by 18 months of age, but I would slowly mix a higher percentage of Critical Care into the Carnivore Care to do that. Start maybe 1 part critical to 10 carnivore, then 1:9 and so on...

Honestly what you're talking about sounds like a major failure to thrive situation and I'm not sure the little bloke is going to make it... Sad when it happens, but such is life. I hope things get better for him, and if you get very desperate I have heard the Oxbow mixes are great for syringe feeding.

Good luck,
-Ellen

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
seanyp2":3gx8i9mu said:
Drache613":3gx8i9mu said:
Hello,

does help. Thanks.
supplementation, etc.

Tracie

I have tried hand feeding tiny super worms and blended salads with berries but it won't go for it. I sit every day holding it trying to get it to eat or drink anything. I'm not sure if you can open it mouth/force feed it? If I touch It's face it whips It's head in disapproval.
>>> yes you can , you have to forcefully but gently immobilize it in your hand or on your chest or tummy but it can be done.
>>> I've forced fed skinks as small as 4g and dragon hatchling as small as 7g.

It's in a 30g 110f
>>> 110F is way too hot (In fact it's dangerously hot), that temperature needs to be lowered by 10F .

on side 80f other side. 45 percent humidity. 30" ubv light bar. 125w sun bulb 60w night bulb. Tile substrate. Only store bought items (exo Terra caves and such) I'm not sure how to upload a photo...

seanyp2

Original Poster
>>> yes you can , you have to forcefully but gently immobilize it in your hand or on your chest or tummy but it can be done.

It's in a 30g 110f
>>> 110F is way too hot (In fact it's dangerously hot), that temperature needs to be lowered by 10F .

It's probably lower then 110 where the dragons are, but 110 isn't dangerously high. I would not go any higher though. It will help them metabolize vitamins. It's common for young bearded dragons to have a higher basking area.

This dragon is maybe 2g should I still try and force feed it?

I realize this guy might just be too small, but it's been with me almost a month and I don't mind putting in the effort to give it a shot at life.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
seanyp2":1p2trasw said:

It's in a 30g 110f

It's probably lower then 110 where the dragons are, but 110 isn't dangerously high. I would not go any higher though. It will help them metabolize vitamins. It's common for young bearded dragons to have a higher basking area.
<< check Brown , "Australian Dragons in Captivity" . The guy is a REAL expert and I'd take his advice .

This dragon is maybe 2g should I still try and force feed it?

I realize this guy might just be too small, but it's been with me almost a month and I don't mind putting in the effort to give it a shot at life.

Yes , I would if he's too weak to catch his own insects , your best bet will be to feed him BSFL or blowfly gents , literally perfect size and very easy for him to eat and digest and perfect size to use your fingers to handfeed the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom