Juvenile beardie refuses to eat, getting skinny. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3sw8elma said:
PathfinderMom91":3sw8elma said:
if by any chance this goes on longer than expected, can he survive eating like this?
He can, but I doubt you will want that to be the case. Best case scenario is you are feeding him like this only until he gets his strength back and starts acting normal again. Then hopefully he will start eating on his own :)

-Brandon

I wonder when that would be! Haha I did enjoy seeing him attack the crickets, the few times he did anyway.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys!
I’m kinda feeling discouraged today. I’ve been feeding my baby the slurry of baby food and worms, but I feel like he’s not progressing much. He shows no interest in crickets. If I try to feed him a worm he spits it back out. At the end of his feedings I also notice that he likes to go to sleep on his basking rock. I’m really worried that he’ll grow up stunted. Can you please take a look at him and see if he has progressed. At the moment he weighs 11.6 grams. I’m not sure what age he is and if that’s normal for his age. I’m at a loss!

106536-7531778444.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He looks like hes gaining a little weight --- have you gotten your UVB the correct distance and basking temps 105-110 and taken w/ a infrared or digital probe? I would look at adding more decor to the tank - it looks kinda bare --- are you keeping him hydrated? I would order some dubia roaches or see if you can get them from a local mom and pops store --- the lighting in the tank is crucial for them to eat and stay healthy along w/ the basking temps
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2sxvjz3c said:
He looks like hes gaining a little weight --- have you gotten your UVB the correct distance and basking temps 105-110 and taken w/ a infrared or digital probe? I would look at adding more decor to the tank - it looks kinda bare --- are you keeping him hydrated? I would order some dubia roaches or see if you can get them from a local mom and pops store --- the lighting in the tank is crucial for them to eat and stay healthy along w/ the basking temps
Karrie

Hello karrie!

I currently have him in a “hospital” tank. It’s basically a storage bin. I used to have him in a 75 gallon tank but he wasn’t getting enough uvb. I have the reptisun 10.0 uvb tube and it’s about 6-8 inches away from his basking rock. I also have a digital probe thermometer, I make sure the temp is usually at 105. Unfortunately, I can’t have Dubia roaches, I live in Florida. I’m not sure if I have to give him water as well as the baby food slurry, his poops have been a bit watery, I don’t know if that means he’s hydrated?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Google discoid roaches- I think you can get them in fla--- yes if he has extra water coming out in his stool he's hydrated-- I would keep a weight on him-- use a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams-- how's he doing? Is he active-- are you feeding salads? You can coax him to salad bowl using bsfl and a couple of small super worms--
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":178zvces said:
Google discoid roaches- I think you can get them in fla--- yes if he has extra water coming out in his stool he's hydrated-- I would keep a weight on him-- use a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams-- how's he doing? Is he active-- are you feeding salads? You can coax him to salad bowl using bsfl and a couple of small super worms--
Karrie

I’m currently syringe feeding him a slurry of chicken baby food, butternut squash, crickets, and wax worms. He refuses any live food. I do introduce live insects daily and he ignores them.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got back from the vet.
She basically told me that he might not be eating because the crickets are too big, or something with his enclosure is not right. She didn’t check for parasites, but did give me something to collect with so I can take it next week. She also gave me a bag of Ox Bone carnivore care and instructed me to give him 1ml a day. She also said that he was a bit dehydrated so I should let him soak for 15 mins a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is your tank set up the same and do you have him in the "hospital" tank still?
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xdnkrzn said:
Is your tank set up the same and do you have him in the "hospital" tank still?
Karrie

Yes, I still have him in the hospital tank. I make sure the basking temp is around 105. And he’s within 6 inches from the uvb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So what size crickets are you trying to feed? Have you tried dubias? Never mind! How about bsfl? Have you tried those?
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":27xxvq8q said:
So what size crickets are you trying to feed? Have you tried dubias? Never mind! How about bsfl? Have you tried those?
Karrie

I get the same ones he was eating at the pet store. They’re extra small crickets. I have tried calciworms but no luck.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PathfinderMom91":3tztkqos said:
KarrieRee":3tztkqos said:
Karrie

I get the same ones he was eating at the pet store. They’re extra small crickets. I have tried calciworms but no luck.

Can you show us the crickets with him in the photo so we can judge if they are correct size for him ?

If too small, he'll not be real interested , and will have to expend more energy catching them than he'll get from them.
If too big , there are risks involved in feeding them to him ( impaction etc ).

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update:
It’s been a week since my last post. I’m still giving pathfinder the slurry and oxbow carnivore care as well as soaking him daily. He recently passed some mealworm pieces and since then i noticed that his poops are no longer watery, but solid brown poops with the white part. Here he is after his dinner:

106536-3472766485.jpg

106536-8239348139.jpg

106536-8250051997.jpg

He’s currently at 13.1 grams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom