Beardie Impaction (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie looks like shes having problems getting her bowel movement through. My theory atm is that its a large urate, but when she tries to go I see a pinkish color (I don't think its a prolapse, doesn't quite look like that). I've given her a warm bath for 15 minutes and just gave her some pumpkin and small amount of olive oil. If this doesn't work, does anyone have anything else I could do? I plan on giving her another warm bath aswell

Edit
Its now looking bad, it looks very irritated and theres just a clear liquid dripping out
full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long have you owned her + how long has it been since she last poo'd ? What has she been eating and what are the temps. in her tank ? Give her as much pumpkin as you can with a little more olive oil + water added. Also try a warmer than usual bath, a little deeper than usual as well .

Orangutans

Original Poster
Ive had for going on almost 2 years, her temps are 110-115 on the hot side, she has tiles as her substrate. Last she pooped was yesterday but it was diarrhea. I mixed the pumpkin in with her collard greens and mixed the olive oil into the pumpkin (she did not like that one bit)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today, any progress with her?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure her temperatures?
We recommend usually to keep the basking temperatures to a range of 95-110F max
with a cooler area of around 78-82. The overall ambient temperatures of the tank should
not exceed 80 or so. Otherwise she wont be able to adequately cool off.
What type/brand of UVB light do you use currently?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think this is a partial prolapse.

I think a visit to a good REPTILE VET is in order before she does more damage to herself ( develops a full blown cloacal prolapse ).

Orangutans

Original Poster
She seems to have gotten better, she hasnt had a bowel movement yet, but hasn't tried to either. She still has an appetite and doesn't seem to be lethargic or in pain like a prolapse would cause. I don't see any of the pink anymore either. Still giving her the olive oil to help her pass what ever she may need to pass though. (No more then a couple drops like I've read on these forums). Im using a reptisun bulb and a digital probe thermometer for taking temps

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Orangutans":2ckl8t3f said:
She seems to have gotten better, she hasnt had a bowel movement yet, but hasn't tried to either. She still has an appetite and doesn't seem to be lethargic or in pain like a prolapse would cause. I don't see any of the pink anymore either. Still giving her the olive oil to help her pass what ever she may need to pass though. (No more then a couple drops like I've read on these forums). Im using a reptisun bulb and a digital probe thermometer for taking temps
I think if it's retracted spontaneously you still need to keep an eye on things especially if she's been straining very hard.

For the next 3 or 4 days I'd
>> give not more than 0.4ml olive oil per day (I find using a syringe with a 14G nozzle on it works)
>> cut back the solids and go to wetter sloppy foods until she passes what ever is bunging her up, could a plug of urates ( dry and hard , the wet sloppy foods will help soften it , break it up) and will not sit there and add the log jamb if she's impacted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, I am sure that can't be comfortable. How is she doing this evening?
I agree, soft foods for several day should be given instead of insects or solid foods so she
wont have to pass anything through her that's too hard on her system.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Orangutans

Original Poster
She seems to be doing alright, I found a local vet to the town I just moved to that is experienced with reptiles in case I need to take her. What are some examples of soft foods?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Orangutans":2xfhlp8t said:
She seems to be doing alright, I found a local vet to the town I just moved to that is experienced with reptiles in case I need to take her. What are some examples of soft foods?
Pureed greens/veggies she normally eats, or organic (or at least no added salt/sugar) baby foods like squash, pumpkin, chicken, green beans, applesauce.
You can try to get her to eat them from a dish or you can try feeding (i use baby spoons), or a feeding syringe, if necessary. Try just putting the food on your finger or a spoon for her to taste. :0)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How is she doing today?

I agree, softfoods would be best for now. You can use baby food, or make your own puree if you have a blender or food processor. Squash/pumpkin are what I always try to use for this.
And like JumpinJellyfish mentioned, sometimes if you can get them to lick it off their lips, they realize it's tasty food and will gladly eat it :)

How long has it actually been since she last poo'd?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom