Help. Berded dragon urgent scale problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy72

Hi i have a problem with my adult/young adult bearded dragon that i have bought, after the original owner decided they no longer wanted it. At first it seemed fine and healthy ,
But about a fortnight ago i noticed a hard lump on his front leg that looked like it was a bit of loose skin that wasnot shedding properly? It finaly came off, scales and all. I thought it was minor scale damage that was was healing, as it was dry, but i aplied tamodine iodine solution periodically and kept an eye on it just in case. I was about to bath him today and to my horror the scales around the lump apear to be going hard? It also looks like it is spreading to his chest area near his leg.
I took a picture but i dont know how to upload it atm.

Jimmy72

Original Poster
I am new to reptile keeping and am researching to see what this could be. Any and all helpfull information would be much appreciated. Is it scale rot? Virus? Bacterial? I am worried because he has not been eating much today but maybe its not related?

Jimmy72

Original Poster
Could this be caused by yellow fungus? If so can it be treated because i just read that it cant? I feel awfull for him. I dont know if it is somthing i have done or he was sick when i got him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
To me it looks like the skin has gotten too dry and has cracked and there is stuff you can put on it but we need to find out just what ---- Brandon or AHBD or Tracie needs to look at this and they can give recommendations --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont think its yellow fungus -- the substrate in the tank is it wood chips? If it is I would replace w/ some non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 in a spray bottle -- the wood chips if thats what it is can cause impaction and if ingested can cause internal injury --- I am hoping someone responds w/ some recommendation on that skin--- are you bathing him alot?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what caused the initial lump but it looks like the scales were damaged by whatever it was. I'm not sure if they will grow back in that area but at least it looks healed over which is good. The area on the chest looks like a normal shed at the moment but do keep an eye on it. If the scales around the arm wound start to change or look damaged then I'd have a vet run a test on a sample and try to find out what's going on and treat accordingly. It doesn't look like yellow fungus to me, but something is up.

Jimmy72

Original Poster
I will change the bedding material asap. Its only been bathed 2 times since i got it in shallow water. I hope itll be ok.
Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jimmy, that's really odd looking. I agree with Karrie , get the wood chips out ASAP + put down non adhesive shelf liner or newspaper for now. You can put a layer of paper towels on top of the newspaper if you like. Raw honey would be good on that to help tissue granulation so get some [ unpasteurized ] from a beekeeper or health store. The jar must sat raw + unpasteurized [ a powerful antimicrobial ] BTW, is it possible that he's jumped up + clung to the heat bulb ? It's hanging low in the tank + might have caused a burn.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":1b6l2luk said:
BTW, is it possible that he's jumped up + clung to the heat bulb ? It's hanging low in the tank + might have caused a burn.

Good observation. I do think at the least you should make sure that he can in no way get in contact with the bulb. It does look quite close.

Would you be able to post up some other pictures of the area? It does look quite odd, but it does seem to be healed over whatever it is. Do you feel a lump or mass in that area at all?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom