Bearded dragon is making a strange noise , freaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend trying to schedule a visit to the vet as soon as possible. Based on the coughing, it typically means they're sick.

What lighting, tempatures, and humidity levels do you have in the tank and how often do you bathe her?

Max1367

Original Poster
VingamSecuris":3crhh9p4 said:
I recommend trying to schedule a visit to the vet as soon as possible. Based on the coughing, it typically means they're sick.

What lighting, tempatures, and humidity levels do you have in the tank and how often do you bathe her?

I bathe here usually 2 times a week , depends on how frequently she passes her stool. Sometimes if she hasn’t passed the stool for two weeks I bathe her for 30 mins a day for 5 days until she does . She is 2 or 3 years old not too sure . Are you sure it’s coughing ? If so I will try , I can’t afford the vet but I will spend every dime if necessary.

Max1367

Original Poster
VingamSecuris":1z6m92au said:

I am not quite sure on the humidity but it is winter here now and it is quite dry.

Max1367

Original Poster
VingamSecuris":1j15kzlk said:

Humidity is 68

If you're referring to the humidity within the tank, 68% is quite a bit higher than what a bearded dragon should be exposed to. The recommended range is 40-35%. Having high humidity like that can result in an RI (respiratory infection). I absolutely insist on scheduling an appointment with a vet to get a professional look at this.

If this isn't the internal humidity of the tank, especially by the basking area, I recommend keeping her under the lamp to try to reduce any liquid in the lungs, assuming that she accidentally breathed some in. These are things I would personally do if a vet isn't a choice at this very moment, the other thing you mentioned was tilting her to see if she coughing up any water- which is definitely something to attempt.

I recommend attempting to find a way- overnight- to keep her tank around 80*F so that her body temp is warmer and encourages the, presumed, water to evaporate and eventually come out.

Additionally, there's a vet who is online every day who can help significantly better than I can, if you're able to wait until tomorrow.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VingamSecuris":1a52h9lm said:
If you're referring to the humidity within the tank, 68% is quite a bit higher than what a bearded dragon should be exposed to. The recommended range is 40-35%. Having high humidity like that can result in an RI (respiratory infection). I absolutely insist on scheduling an appointment with a vet to get a professional look at this.

<<< nonsense …. RH at 68% is fine. 30s are ideal but don't stress if you can't get it in the house/tank.

If this isn't the internal humidity of the tank, especially by the basking area, I recommend keeping her under the lamp to try to reduce any liquid in the lungs, assuming that she accidentally breathed some in. These are things I would personally do if a vet isn't a choice at this very moment, the other thing you mentioned was tilting her to see if she coughing up any water- which is definitely something to attempt.

I recommend attempting to find a way- overnight- to keep her tank around 80*F so that her body temp is warmer and encourages the, presumed, water to evaporate and eventually come out.

Additionally, there's a vet who is online every day who can help significantly better than I can, if you're able to wait until tomorrow.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Max1367":dok383el said:
VingamSecuris":dok383el said:

I bathe here usually 2 times a week , depends on how frequently she passes her stool. Sometimes if she hasn’t passed the stool for two weeks I bathe her for 30 mins a day for 5 days until she does . She is 2 or 3 years old not too sure . Are you sure it’s coughing ? If so I will try , I can’t afford the vet but I will spend every dime if necessary.

Any chance she's aspirated some water into the lungs ? this is the risk with excessive bathing in water that's too deep, it only takes an instant for their nose to go under and that's enough to cause serious lung difficulties.
I'd cut back the bathing to ONLY WHEN NECESSARY. My dragons are lucky if they get a bath 3 times a year.

Set up a warm bed for her ( about 36 degC ) and when she's asleep position her so her bottom is higher than her head. This will help
1) dry the lungs
2) drain the lungs.
If it's still happening in a couple of days she's developed an RI and needs vet treatment including nebulization ( at least with F10 ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The video does appear to show her at least trying to clear her lungs of something.

Do you watch her in the bath? Is it possible she might have aspirated some liquid.

They can get water in their lungs on occasion, it doesnt instantly mean RI though. Their bodies are capable of clearing their own lungs before infection sets in. But it's always a possibilty. But remember, water in the lungs does not equal RI. An infection in the lungs is.

68% actually is decently high assuming you're using an accurate hygrometer. Many are quite inaccurate. Either way when an ri is suspected or a potential, 68% really isnt a number you want to see.

Like Vingam suggested, if you can keep the temp at night around 80, that will help dry out the lungs a bit and it will help keep the immune system more active which will help the lungs too.

What did she eat today? Anything too big that she could have got stuck?

Has she been black bearding at all?

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":2ulm7teq said:
Hi there,

The video does appear to show her at least trying to clear her lungs of something.

Do you watch her in the bath? Is it possible she might have aspirated some liquid.

They can get water in their lungs on occasion, it doesnt instantly mean RI though. Their bodies are capable of clearing their own lungs before infection sets in. But it's always a possibilty. But remember, water in the lungs does not equal RI. An infection in the lungs is.

68% actually is decently high assuming you're using an accurate hygrometer. Many are quite inaccurate. Either way when an ri is suspected or a potential, 68% really isnt a number you want to see.

Like Vingam suggested, if you can keep the temp at night around 80, that will help dry out the lungs a bit and it will help keep the immune system more active which will help the lungs too.

-Brandon
She usually loves her collards.but recently she’s been ignoring them. I have a Dubai colonie so I fed her a half full grown roach just to give her some nutrients. How should I keep her tank at 80 I am not sure? If I keep the light on it will be at 105
Btw in Canada we use farhrenthiet. So it is 20 c

Max1367

Original Poster
Max1367":1bqsrjx5 said:
claudiusx":1bqsrjx5 said:
Hi there,

-Brandon
She usually loves her collards.but recently she’s been ignoring them. I have a Dubai colonie so I fed her a half full grown roach just to give her some nutrients. How should I keep her tank at 80 I am not sure? If I keep the light on it will be at 105
Plus she won’t get any sleep at all

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ideally youd use a ceramic heat emitter. If you dont have one do you have a heat mat you could use?
If not, dont worry about it and just let her sleep tonight. But it would be good to pick up one of those CHEs if you can tomorrow.

So no black bearding?

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":3mw11rij said:
Hi there,

-Brandon
I always watch her In the bath, she always stays right beside me in a 20g tub. Filled to the top of her legs . This time tho, it was a bit higher than usual. So I put a brick in there so she could have a place to rest . She drank a bit of water and submerged her head in the water . I check every five minutes . I figured she was find but she may had got some water In her lungs. Do you think I should keep the lights on over night and make sure she is basking ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She probably did get water in her lungs. It's happened to one of my dragons too before.

No, of you dont have a CHE then keeping it dark so she can sleep is more important than keeping her a bit warmer. As long as your house doesnt get too cold.
The beauty of the CHEs is they produce heat but no light, so they are perfect for night. Unlike those "night" bulbs which put out red or purple light which does actually disturb their sleep.

If she isnt black bearding and acting normal, she will most likely do fine clearing her lungs herself. Just keep an eye on her and her behavior. And get that che to keep her warmer at night and she should be just fine.

Keep us updated.

-Brandon

Max1367

Original Poster
claudiusx":bn8kwkt2 said:
Ideally youd use a ceramic heat emitter. If you dont have one do you have a heat mat you could use?
If not, dont worry about it and just let her sleep tonight. But it would be good to pick up one of those CHEs if you can tomorrow.

So no black bearding?

-Brandon
I do have a ceramic heater , it’s under my leopard
Gecko tank. If I have to I will. My gecko can go a night without, I can also put a blancket over my beardie . She will sleep and get the heat . Think that will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom