Tail Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I've just adopted a 1 year old bearded dragon about 2 months ago from a co-worker of mine. He's my first beardie so I don't want to overlook anything. At first I thought his tail was just about to shed, but now I'm worried its tail rot. I have been giving him frequent baths and gently brushing at the tail with a toothbrush but it doesn't seem to do anything. I even put a bit of repti-shed on it the other week but I didn't see any result. Any help/advice is appreciated. :)
tumblr_pzmr8z6uKw1vsqgmho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pzmr8z6uKw1vsqgmho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pzmr8z6uKw1vsqgmho3_1280.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks like hes going into shed ----- here is some info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Definitely not tail rot! Dragons can darken their tails for a multitude of reasons just like they can darken the rest of their bodies and their beards. It typically is more a sign of slight stress or alertness.
Tail rot is pretty rare, and is basically impossible without there being an open wound or injury to the tail.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like Brandon said, no tail rot there at all. :) Something that seems to be getting more common is owners worrying about the uneven way a beardie sheds. The thing is, uneven sheds are 100 % natural and there's no need to do anything to accelerate it. If it lingered for months on an adult it still wouldn't be harmful but then you could just mist the dragon in the tank to help boost humidity a bit + aid in shedding . Those of us who have had dragons for many years can tell you that they will shed, just in their own time. The only thing to ever be concerned with is if you actually see a tight retained shed [ looks like a rubber band is wound around an area ] like on the toes or tail tip, then you can put some shed aid or neosporin on to help the shed along. Bathing once a week is fine for any dragon, esp. during sheds but is not totally necessary. But your big boy looks good + healthy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom