Wound on tip of beardies face/nose. Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1990

106354-2753948504.jpg
106354-1014852464.jpg
Hi guys and girls. My beardie has had a dark mark on his nose for a month or so. I just figured he didnt shed properly last time. But anout 10 mins ago i noticed it had come off and is now pink skin with no scales at all. Should i be worried and how do i go about cleaning the area so it dosnt get infected. Thanks in advance

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
has someone been picking at "shed in the lips" ? is beardie still feeding OK ?

I'd just keep an eye on it, to ensure it doesn't get worse , you could dab some manuka honey on the injury but I don't think it'll stay there long as it'll soon get licked off.

I don't think ointments and antiseptics are wise to apply to the lips unless prescribed by a vet as safe if ingested.

Tyler1990

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. No, no one has picked at it, he is feeding as normal and is quite active. I think its from him rubbing against the glass at feed time. He runs up and down the length of the tank sliding his nose along the glass. Will go get some manuka honey and see how he goes

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The honey should help. If you can't find manuka honey you can use raw unpasteurized honey too. Although the Manuka will work better.

I would try to make sure he doesn't continue to rub his nose otherwise it won't heal.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is the edge of the glass sharp / from being "cut" or rounded ?

If it's sharp / rough to the feel ( it's been cut and not polished ) this will cause injuries. Is easy fixed if you get a glacier to visit and "fire" polish or use very fine abrasives to polish the edge.

You can mechanically polish the glass edges , a visit to the hardware shop to get a tub of aluminium oxide or cerium oxide rubbing slurry, this will polish away the "roughness" and any sharp angular edges and make the glass edges much less likely to cause this kind of injury in the future.

I've had success with fire polishing ( of glassware , a laboratory skill ) and mechanical polishing ( glass sheets etc ) .
Mechanical polishing using slurries of very fine Al2O3 and CeO2 is slower but can produce very smooth surfaces and wont effect the temporing of the glass.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Tyler1990":dkphocbi said:
106354-2753948504.jpg
106354-1014852464.jpg
Hi guys and girls. My beardie has had a dark mark on his nose for a month or so. I just figured he didnt shed properly last time. But anout 10 mins ago i noticed it had come off and is now pink skin with no scales at all. Should i be worried and how do i go about cleaning the area so it dosnt get infected. Thanks in advance
Do you ever see your beardie snout rubbing and if you have a vent on the bottom (Custom Cage) that can be more of a problem in snout rubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom