Gout or Septic Arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilpela92

My bearded dragon, Eskimo, has had a problem with his wrist/wrists off an on. It started when is was fairly young, maybe 8 months old. He is a little over a year old now. At first I thought it may have been an injury since it went away, but it has come back, now a couple of times and it is obviously bothering him a bit. I took him to a vet in my area though there are absolutely none that are reputable with bearded dragons and they can’t give me a straight answer so I have basically given up on that idea. I would rather invest in a treatment I can do on my own. I suspected it to be gout so for a while I have been feeding him much less insect protein but he is bad about eating veggies. Though he does gobble them up like crazy about once a week, I continually offer him a variety every day. I know I have to give him protein though so I try and do alfalfa powder, and the occasional Dubia roach from my colony (I have an adult female and a baby from their clutch so a while back I researched a ton on Dubias) anyhow, long story short I’m wondering if gout comes and goes intermittently, and does septic arthritis come and go intermittently. In hopes I can narrow down the problem essentially. I am very very versed in proper care, my lights and heat and supplement regimen are extremely thought out. Literally all I’m trying to figure out is if these two things come and go or if they come about and are constantly there. I can’t seem to find an answer on the web but I’m hoping one of you experts know ;) it absolutely kills me to see him like this. Thank anyone for taking the time to read ❤️❤️❤️

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Well you could use the vet as a means to get bloodwork done. And then you could post them up on here and we can look them over for you.

Lower protein diets are the first line of defense. I would avoid the dubias though. Even when fed a low protein diet they can be pretty high in protein. Plus they tend to be quite high in uric acid themselves.

One thing you can try is black cherry extract. It seems to help quite well with gout. I'm not quite sure on the septic Arthritis though.

Gout does seem to have its good and bad days. When it gets bad enough though it seems to be there constantly.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, that most definitely isn't fun at all!
Do you have any pictures of him, so we can see any swelling on his hands/wrist area?
Also, just so we can take a look at the tank set up, if you have some, please post a few
pictures of your tank & lighting also.
Black cherry or tart cherry extract can be very helpful, along with alfalfa leaf powder, too.
It is a non purine protein source too which is kidney friendly.
How do his urates look?

Tracie

Kilpela92

Original Poster
Sorry I haven’t responded, I’ve been working long hours...6 days a week x.x I’m not sure what his uric acid looks like but he pooped the other day and it looked normal. I use this stuff called Uricil, he really really doesn’t like it though, I have to dribble it into his mouth by putting a syringe between his lips on his front teeth, he used to open his mouth for me but quickly realized what I was doing lol. I will post pics of him and his tank, though his tank setup is spot on. The only thing I may change is removing his basking cave so he doesn’t have to climb up or down. I added towels to the tile beneath his cave and on his basking spot as well so it’s more comfortable. Unfortunately with how much I work and the delay on getting an appointment with a vet I doubt I will be able to get him in anytime soon. I want to do something now. I have been feeding him phoenix worms instead of roaches for about a week now, just a few, and on of his wrists went back to normal but the other one seems to have swelled a little more actually. I’ll post the pics, thank you for the replies it means a lot to me. Oh I also have been using a CBD salve on his wrists and he seems to enjoy it quite a bit, not sure if it helps with the swelling but I’m guessing it helps with pain. Any ideas about that? Could it be a sign it is arthritis perhaps? I saw in one post you guys said gout seems to have bad days and good ones but his completely goes away, then will come back, does septic arthritis do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom