Should I take my baby back to PetSmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazyman

I just purchased a baby (2 mo) from PetSmart a little over a week ago. He adjusted really nicely and was very healthy up until two or three days ago. He stopped eating and moving, so I was really worried about him. I noticed his tail had started to blacken. From the start, his tail did look a little bent out of shape on the tip and I didn’t think much of it since he was eating and drinking fine. Now, his tail is even darker and more brittle than before. I have been treating it with neospirin, but I can’t do much more than that. The nearest exotic vet is around 3.5 hours away from us and I spent all of my money getting him started. In my other discussion (you can look at that for more info about all of this), I learned that my uvb bulb (which came with the tank, along with a basking bulb and a dual lamp system) was not powerful enough and I would have to buy the tube and fixture. I do not have enough money for this. I don’t want my baby to suffer with my care. PetSmart said that I could take him back if he was unhealthy or sick, if I returned him within two weeks. They said they would give him immediate vet care and get him back up to health. I know I won’t be able to see him grow up, but I think it’s the best option for him under these circumstances. Also, we’ve been having to drive an hour every couple days so that we can get him crickets. Our house gets really cold sometimes and they die as a result (and we can’t put a heat source near their pen or it will melt), so sometimes our baby has to go a couple of feedings without insects, which is not ideal. I know that I will not buy another reptile from PetSmart or Petco (a good number of them have diseases already or are poorly cared for during their time at the store).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I usually have mixed feelings about returning them to the petstore because they aren't
always honest about their intentions.
How cold is it in your house? Do you have a heating pad that you could place underneath
of the bin of crickets? Just be sure you put a towel in between the plastic bin & the heating
pad so the plastic wont get too warm.
What do you keep in the cricket bin with them, what type of watering system & food are you
using?

How is he doing this evening?
Tracie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
That's a heartbreaking decision to have to make, and ultimately, you're the only one who will be able to make it. From what you're saying, it sounds like your problem is threefold:

1) Your baby has what seems to be the start of tail rot, or at the very least is sick, and your closest exotic vet is a long distance away.
2) You don't have the money to get the proper UV tube for him, which will cause greater problems in the long run.
3) You're having a hard time getting enough feeders to keep him fed.

All of these things are correctable, but take money or some creative thinking. You COULD return him to PetSmart and let them know that you're going to want to buy him back once the issue with his tail has been corrected; that was the way PetCo wanted to deal with my Figment, when I was concerned about his poos. But as the previous poster said, not all pet stores are honest about their intentions to get animals proper vet care. It's a risk.

You could ask who they use as an exotic vet and take him in yourself, assuming that vet is closer to you, but that's money you've said you just don't have right now.

The bulb is a bit of a non-negotiable item; with the wrong bulb, you're risking your baby not getting enough UV or possible eye problems with the wrong sort of bulb. Could you ask for an advance on a birthday or Christmas present to get the right sort of bulb?

Crickets can be ordered through the mail and delivered right to you, as can a variety of other feeders, if you can resolve the heat problem - which the previous poster did, if you can manage it.

It sounds to me like you're feeling overwhelmed with these three things, like so many new beardie owners do feel when things go wrong. I feel for you. You did what you thought was best at the outset, only to discover that the setup wasn't the best and that pet store dragons can have health problems. It's not your fault.

IF there's no way you can resolve the issues, then yes, returning him to the store is really the only option. If, however, you can get your hands on some cash, there are tons of people on this forum ready and willing to help you solve your problems... they've been invaluable to me, for example, and I also got a pet store dragon. Wishing you the best of luck with your decision... I know it's a tough one to have to make.

~Chris

What everyone said is right. However at one time or another we are all new parents to these wonderful pets. One thing I want to Express that I found out the hard way. These guys can cost a lot of money if something goes wrong or they get sick. As far as feeders that's not a problem really. You can feed then feeders a few times a week especially once grown. There are ways of getting around that problem. Having baby food on hand for in between and I know meal worms can be stored in the fridge. Lights are soooooooo important they cannot go without proper lighting. They are right so many people on here have tons of experience and will help you. I dont know how many times I've been guided by these guys over the years and they didnt even know it. Exotic vets are extremely exspensive and I know mine does not take payment. I would not bring your baby back to that store. I would find someone that could care for your baby that has experience till you can provide everything needed. There are a lot of rescue places that would help. I hope this helps you. Please do lots and lots of research if you decide to keep your baby. Good Luck and dont wait to long he or she needs those lights. ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My opinion is back to the petshop as a last resort - can't trust them or the "vet" they have.

Where are you located ? I'm sure someone here can point you at a REPTILE VET who is closer than 3.5 hours from you.

Show us your light fittings and the UV source ( bulb ).

As a stop gap you can form a little loop in the power cable (using a cable tie) that will allow the loop to move so the dome fixture the compact UVB globe is in ( part of the "kit" the ripoff merchant at the pet shop sold to you ) can be and dangled under all under lid ( either from the edge from a slit cut in the mesh top , this way the so the UVA and UVB levels are higher at the basking spot and elsewhere in the tank until you find the money to upgrade to a good t5 reflector hood and a t5ho tube rated at least 10% UVB.

From your description, it seems to me the issue is not really with UV levels ( though they will become an issue over the next few months ) , but with husbandry ie
>> temperatures ( either too high in the tank everywhere during day ) or too cold overnight and not warm enough (to allow the dragon to digest it's food)
>> feeding issues ( wrong size feeders , not enough , not often enough)

It's not uncommon for petshops to sell very sick dragons to NOOBs. Another reason to NOT return it to the pet shop as they will not spend much to "fix" it and will more likely make it worse or have it putdown and try to do a swap for a similar looking substitute.

Seems to me the dragon is in need of antibiotic IM injections as the "tail rot" have become systemic ( akin to gangrene ) and urgent treatment is required.
If you can't afford a visit to a vet , the only REAL OPTIONS you have
>> surrender the dragon to a reptile rescuer ( who will make sure it gets the treatment it needs ) and will then rehome it
>> a bad option - take it back the pet shop ( IMO very likely a death sentence as it's not going to be profitable for them to provide the vet treatment it needs to survive and recover ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom