Possible sick dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that you got the uvb. DOD you get the t8 or t5 version? And what distance is it from the basking surface?

Usually it perks them up a bit pretty quickly, but it can take awhile for them to totally come around.

Hope the vet visit goes well! Let us know.

-Brandon

Fellabob

Original Poster
2nd update:

Charlie indeed has early stages of MBD. In result of that he has two fractured bones in the front leg and somewhere between the back legs. Which would explain the lack of moving and his black beard. He's in pain.

The doctor administered pain medicine and liquid calcium.That will be given to him every day. Liquid and powder calcium included. The doctor wants me to dust his bugs in the powder every day for his meals. Pain medicine should help him until the fractures heal and let's hope his bone density get stronger.

This will be a work in process.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor Charlie.

Unfortunately it's all to common an occurrence due to the popularity and ease of use of those coil bulbs.

With the extra calcium you will really want to dial in the uvb setup to allow him to be absorbing it all.

Did you end up with the t8 or t5?
Is it inside the tank or mounted outside the tank?

Hopeing for a speedy recovery for Charlie.

-Brandon

Fellabob

Original Poster
It's mounted outside of the tank. It's the t8 version. It's probably a few inches from it. I plan to upgrade hopefully pretty soon and have it where t's mounted from inside if it's the correct way to do it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is it on top of the mesh?
And does the fixture have a reflector in it?

If you could post a pic of the setup we could help get it all setup for you.

The t8 ideally should be in a reflector, unobstructed, and 6-8 inches from the basking spot.
If its ontop of mesh, you'll want it closer as the mesh cuts out some of the uv output.
And if the fixture doesnt have a reflector, you'll want it even closer still as the reflector nearly doubles its output.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok please dont hesitate :)

Just wanted to make sure the uvb was setup right otherwise the calcium wont do much.

Looking forward to hearing some updates of his improving health :)

Hopefully the pain meds work and his black beard goes away.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to say I am hoping for a speedy recovery for Charlie. I'm sure he does have
some pain, due to those fractures.
I'm sorry you were using the compact/coil UVB lights, they really are not very effective at all.
It is frustrating to me, that they still even make these lights.
Definitely let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom