Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie was impacted and after 2 days of warm baths finally had a movement this morning. Doesn't seem too interested in eating yet. Is that normal? How can I aid in the interest of food?

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Jessicasmith":ua0tmly5 said:
My beardie was impacted and after 2 days of warm baths finally had a movement this morning. Doesn't seem too interested in eating yet. Is that normal? How can I aid in the interest of food?
How old is he?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So he poo'd this morning after 2 days without. That's not too long but if he's not eating something may be off. Very important is what he is eating and what size are the insects ? Can you post pics of his tank + the type of lights you have ? Also, how are you taking the temps. and what are they ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Jessicasmith

Original Poster
No he's been impacted for almost a week. I didn't know he was until I realized he wasn't pooping. I was told to use sand in the tank and then was informed that sand isn't good. He was also more interested in larger crickets and someone brought to my attention the rule of thumb for the size of insects. We are currently using a reptile heating pad under the tank. Switched to newspaper until I can get reptile carpet.
106210-5135807809.jpg
106210-2211310850.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes, that's a pretty long time for a 3-4 month old to not poo but good thing he did since then. So what type of bulb do you have ? Proper heat + uvb are 2 of the most important things a beardie needs. If you can't tell the brand name, take a pic of it to post here.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so what is in the dome closest to pic? Is it a coil UVB? If it is please replace w/ this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this is the issue for not pooping ---this plays a huge role in digestion of the food and preventing MBD --- you can get some textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes for your flooring --- its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/water in a spray bottle 50/50--- your little one should be pooping every day --- so my guess you need to have basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe --- NO stick ons - totally inaccurate -- you will need to upgrade your tank here soon -- they need floor space --- please get rid of the heating pad -- beardies heat from the top not their tummies --- if you need extra heat in the tank I would upgrade the basking bulb and make sure you get a temp w/ the ones I mentioned or you can get a CHE ceramic heat emitter but I would not do that till you get a accurate basking temp- temps can go as low as 60-65 at nite and need to be 80's on cool side for the day --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am assuming this is not a UVB ??? I was trying to read on it and it doesnt say --only UVA -- you need a UVB --
Karrie

Jessicasmith":38aladpy said:
Perfect. I'll replace everything as soon as I'm able. It is a coil type bulb.
Check out the lighting guide in the care sheets and also read the general care guide, its best to be informed about everything before you end up getting your beardie sick and having to pay for vet trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom