Physically unable to eat on her own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice is a rescue who, long story short, had a very rough two years and is now four years old with MBD, blind in one eye and most likely partially the other one, too. She has always struggled to eat which lead her to be chronically malnourished. I’ve gotten her weight to about 300 g (she started at 80 g at 14 inches). However, it’s taken 2 years to do that. Whenever she eats real food, she’ll swallow one piece, breathe in a way that looks labored because he sides go in really far, and open her mouth. It usually takes about 1 or 2 minutes before she can take another piece. On top that, she can’t aim. Probably 1:10 times she goes to grab food she actually gets it. I’ve tried helping her to catch it, but it does nothing. Either way, most of the time she is so lethargic she doesn’t even try.

I’m starting her back on reptaboost because it helped her a lot earlier in the year when she nearly passed away from MBD. She’s been on cc on and off, but she hates it. I tried this other food from the vet and she hated it even more than cc. It takes at least an hour to feed her as she needs a bath and then gets syringe fed.

I know the reptaboost will perk her up, but what do I do about her inability to eat? I worry about her quality of life a lot.

Can a beardie be on reptaboost long term? It says to see a vet after 7-10 days of use.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about this poor dragon who did not deserve to end up in this situation. Your care of her is a genuine labor of love. :) Does she seem interested in her surroundings at all, in a limited way or at least seem comfortable ? You can embark on a new venture with her feedings by trying out many types of smoothies to go along with the Reptaboost. Try some made of bugs, some of
mixed veggies, some with just a bit of fruit , a dash of raw honey, etc. See what she might like. Of course once you use any insects you'll not be able to use that blender for human food. :)

I've been using Repta Boost mixed with organic baby food for a year for my rescue beardie. He doesn't do well with feeding on his own but does well with using a syringe placing the food on his mouth. He loves it and gobbles it up. However, I did get a different syringe a bigger onethat moves better. The one they give us too small and slow for him..lol
And once or twice a week I'll give him GrubPie but more of a slurry in the syringe.
He is blind in one eye and has gotten to were he doesn't like to chase bugs any more. So the grubpie he loves.

Beardiealice

Original Poster
AHBD":1sifg4so said:
Hi there, sorry to hear about this poor dragon who did not deserve to end up in this situation. Your care of her is a genuine labor of love. :) Does she seem interested in her surroundings at all, in a limited way or at least seem comfortable ? You can embark on a new venture with her feedings by trying out many types of smoothies to go along with the Reptaboost. Try some made of bugs, some of
mixed veggies, some with just a bit of fruit , a dash of raw honey, etc. See what she might like. Of course once you use any insects you'll not be able to use that blender for human food. :)

It really depends on the day. Sometimes she’ll just lay there and only open her eyes if you pick her up. Other times she’ll sit there and give you the stink eye. I’m mostly worried right now about how she won’t move to her basking rock. She’ll just lay in the middle of her tank with dark coloring. Hopefully with being on reptaboost for a few days that’ll change.

Would I really not be able to use the blender for human food? Like even if I wash it?

kwonsmommy":1sifg4so said:
I've been using Repta Boost mixed with organic baby food for a year for my rescue beardie. He doesn't do well with feeding on his own but does well with using a syringe placing the food on his mouth. He loves it and gobbles it up. However, I did get a different syringe a bigger onethat moves better. The one they give us too small and slow for him..lol
And once or twice a week I'll give him GrubPie but more of a slurry in the syringe.
He is blind in one eye and has gotten to were he doesn't like to chase bugs any more. So the grubpie he loves.

Is he perky with this set up? Has he gotten used to syringe feeding or is it still a struggle? Whenever Alice perks up syringe feeding her becomes a nightmare. Also, have you ever ran into problems with his jaw or teeth from syringe feeding? Alice will only occasionally lick it from her nose so I have to sneak it in the side of her mouth which means she sometimes bites the syringe.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I would have a separate blender for your own food, wouldn't chance getting sick if you use one for insects. If it was used only for a few fruits + veggies then it would be fine though. I like the idea of trying the grub pie too that the other poster mentioned.

Beardiealice":3r0snsu8 said:
AHBD":3r0snsu8 said:

It really depends on the day. Sometimes she’ll just lay there and only open her eyes if you pick her up. Other times she’ll sit there and give you the stink eye. I’m mostly worried right now about how she won’t move to her basking rock. She’ll just lay in the middle of her tank with dark coloring. Hopefully with being on reptaboost for a few days that’ll change.

Would I really not be able to use the blender for human food? Like even if I wash it?

kwonsmommy":3r0snsu8 said:

Is he perky with this set up? Has he gotten used to syringe feeding or is it still a struggle? Whenever Alice perks up syringe feeding her becomes a nightmare. Also, have you ever ran into problems with his jaw or teeth from syringe feeding? Alice will only occasionally lick it from her nose so I have to sneak it in the side of her mouth which means she sometimes bites the syringe.

I don't actually put the syringe in his mouth anymore, i did the side when we first started the Reptaboost. I just put it on his nose now. He loves it mixed with the fruit and veggies. He gobbles it up. I sit on the floor with him it had become our thing. He will eat and run around. He will come back for more. Some things he loves some of the baby for he doesn't. His favourite is the root veggies, rainbow carrots, apples and broccoli. He really loves the grubpie. The things he loves he will stay there and lick it off He mouth tm faster than i can put it there. I also let him see his food on his Good eye side.
He also is a free range dragon. But that's a whole other story.

Beardiealice

Original Poster
kwonsmommy":13jp61ry said:
Beardiealice":13jp61ry said:
AHBD":13jp61ry said:

kwonsmommy":13jp61ry said:

I don't actually put the syringe in his mouth anymore, i did the side when we first started the Reptaboost. I just put it on his nose now. He loves it mixed with the fruit and veggies. He gobbles it up. I sit on the floor with him it had become our thing. He will eat and run around. He will come back for more. Some things he loves some of the baby for he doesn't. His favourite is the root veggies, rainbow carrots, apples and broccoli. He really loves the grubpie. The things he loves he will stay there and lick it off He mouth tm faster than i can put it there. I also let him see his food on his Good eye side.

I'll try this. I started giving her baby food a while ago but I feared she wasn't getting enough nutrients. I think I'm just going to break out the food processor tomorrow and make baby food with collards, squash, carrots, and maybe some other things. Thank you!

Beardiealice

Original Poster
AHBD":3ru56rne said:
I would have a separate blender for your own food, wouldn't chance getting sick if you use one for insects. If it was used only for a few fruits + veggies then it would be fine though. I like the idea of trying the grub pie too that the other poster mentioned.

Do you think the GrubPie would be better than if I bought the bugs and did it myself?

Beardiealice":34q8ng4m said:
kwonsmommy":34q8ng4m said:
Beardiealice":34q8ng4m said:
AHBD":34q8ng4m said:

kwonsmommy":34q8ng4m said:

I'll try this. I started giving her baby food a while ago but I feared she wasn't getting enough nutrients. I think I'm just going to break out the food processor tomorrow and make baby food with collards, squash, carrots, and maybe some other things. Thank you!

I mix it with the Reptaboost so he is getting extra nutrients plus it thickens the baby food for easier feedings of putting it on his mouth for him to lick off and not make a mess.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I like to mix the repashy beardie buffet (more of an omnivore than carnivore mix) with baby food. I don't make slurry as it's too thin. I just mix the powder with baby food to the consistency that's easy with a syringe. I'm going to try out the veggie burger next order since they won't eat their veggies and they are adults now and don't need as much insects.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, what a sad situation for you both!
I would say though, that if she is overall, in good health that not being able to see well can still
be dealt with if she still has fighting spirit in her that is.
There have been other owners that have had similar situations & had to hand feed or syringe
feed & though challenging it does work.
Baby food is usually well tolerated when given alone, or mixed with other dry foods, etc.
Do you have any pictures of Alice & your setup you could post for us?
She is lucky you are caring for her so meticulously!

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My first rescue about 12 years ago was Lucky the wild juvenile water skink , broken jaw ( cat attack / bitten in the jaw area ).
Was unable to / unwilling to chew anything hard , so I had to give soft foods by hand .

I know a guy who rescued a wild frill necked dragon from neighbour's dog who was attacking it and had literally torn off the lower jaw. He had to feed it by syringe directly down the throat into it's stomache while it was still alive. Lasted about 3 years.

Missing the food that is being targeted , is likely just the dragon closing it's eyes and going for the food item but being "off target" because of bad aim or it moving.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
kyleena29":3jvv4ywh said:
I like to mix the repashy beardie buffet (more of an omnivore than carnivore mix) with baby food. I don't make slurry as it's too thin. I just mix the powder with baby food to the consistency that's easy with a syringe. I'm going to try out the veggie burger next order since they won't eat their veggies and they are adults now and don't need as much insects.
I second the separate blender suggestion. I bought a small one similar to a nutribullet (without all the extra cups and stuff) for about $15. I wrote "bug blender - not for human food" on the base.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Alice doing today?
We are all pulling for her. Let us know how she is progressing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom