Help! Eye problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weepwoop

So I just got my new beardie today. He’s 3 years old and a rescue, so I’m not sure if his previous conditions had anything to do with his eye or not. One of his eyes has clear fluid in it and he can’t open it. Sometimes it bubbles. The people at the petstore said it has just been like that since he was young but I’m worried about it. He seems to have a hard time seeing the crickets in his tank https://ibb.co/5LWS05r

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The image isnt showing up for us unfortunately.

Poor guy eye issues are no fun. Once we see a picture we will better understand the situation.

You can use a sterile saline solution on the eye a couple times a day to help flush out any irritation.

-Brandon

weepwoop

Original Poster
claudiusx":x6e4wyw8 said:
Hi there,

The image isnt showing up for us unfortunately.

Poor guy eye issues are no fun. Once we see a picture we will better understand the situation.

You can use a sterile saline solution on the eye a couple times a day to help flush out any irritation.

-Brandon

So sorry! I think it works now. I did wash it out will saline and it looked a little better, but it keeps coming back. Like I said the people at the petstore said he’s just had it forever.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
His image : guys just click the link and it pops up.

Any way a copy of it here
eye.png

Looks like a shed issue to me.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy! Definitely looks extremely irritated. It's possible that some sand or other loose substrate got into the eye. I'd just continue with the constant saline rinses.

Is his other eye ok?
Despite not being able to see his crickets very well, is he still eating a good amount?
Are you able to take him into a vet at all?

It's unlikely to be a shed issue if the petstores claim of it being like this his whole life is accurate. Even if it's not, the drainage from the eye is more indicative of an infection or irritation under the lid.

kingofnobbys":su0bw4ws said:
There was no link at first. Just a broken image, which is why I mentioned it and OP fixed it. :)

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe shed related. The crustiness makes me think that there is mucous buildup in reaction to some sort of infection. It might be a good idea to have a vet take a culture and see what is going on. Terramycin eye drops might be a good idea in this case, but I'd consult with a vet about it first. The saline rinse is a good idea to help keep it cleared out a bit. Raw/unpasteurized honey may also be helpful - that has been reported to help with eye infections in some cases. Either way I think a vet visit is warranted.

weepwoop

Original Poster
claudiusx":18gtjfml said:
Poor guy! Definitely looks extremely irritated. It's possible that some sand or other loose substrate got into the eye. I'd just continue with the constant saline rinses.

Is his other eye ok?
Despite not being able to see his crickets very well, is he still eating a good amount?
Are you able to take him into a vet at all?

It's unlikely to be a shed issue if the petstores claim of it being like this his whole life is accurate. Even if it's not, the drainage from the eye is more indicative of an infection or irritation under the lid.

kingofnobbys":18gtjfml said:
There was no link at first. Just a broken image, which is why I mentioned it and OP fixed it. :)

-Brandon

His other eye looks okay, but it seems he has a hard time seeing things. I just got him yesterday, so he hasn’t had time to eat much, though it’s like he can barely see his food. He strikes for it but doesn’t even come close to getting it. I did however get him to eat a blueberry after holding in his face for a couple of minutes. And yes, I will take him to the vet. Thanks! :)

weepwoop

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1zk2hqm4 said:
Maybe shed related. The crustiness makes me think that there is mucous buildup in reaction to some sort of infection. It might be a good idea to have a vet take a culture and see what is going on. Terramycin eye drops might be a good idea in this case, but I'd consult with a vet about it first. The saline rinse is a good idea to help keep it cleared out a bit. Raw/unpasteurized honey may also be helpful - that has been reported to help with eye infections in some cases. Either way I think a vet visit is warranted.

I’ll take him soon! Poor little guy :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great.

Keep us updated on him. Hopefully the vet can offer some much needed relief.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom